• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somebody ought to sue the coin doctors!

21 posts in this topic

Oh, wait a minute, somebody already did. If you're unaware, that was PCGS, just a couple of years ago. But I'm talking about serving the complaints, too. When PCGS sued the coin doctors, you see, they never served the complaints. As such, in six months, they got dismissed out of court for it. This time, sue the coin doctors, and serve the complaints. Anybody here also a member over there? Why don't you suggest that to them? Maybe they just plum don't know that's where they went wrong.

Anybody here also a member over there? Why don't you suggest that to them? Maybe they just plum don't know that's where they went wrong.

Hmmm...there's a "Kurtdog" over there as well. I assume that's you? If so, why are you asking for someone else to "suggest that to them" over there instead of doing it yourself?

;)

Probably they didn't do it because although they have good circumstantial evidence that doctored coins were submitted by those companies, they have no provable evidence that the doctoring was done by the submitter or exactly who did the doctoring. They would probably have a difficult time even proving that the submitter KNEW the coin was doctored. I plead ignorance, how do YOU prove what I know? Might be possible, but it probably won't be easy. And if you can't you leave yourself open for a countersuit for damages. And I believe some of the named "doctors" did file a countersuit. (Which for some reason we never heard about again. Settled out of court? Pending? Dropped?)

Clearly a lawyer tactic to get even more money from PCGS, all in the name of billable hours.

Yeah, I hate it when anybody is victimized like that, even when they're a multimillion dollar corporation like CU. Did you notice they kept those attorneys on, BTW? I wonder why.

If there's a saving grace, I suppose it's that they at least made the headlines. That's not to say it was a publicity stunt. I mean, not necessarily. They also reinforced the fear of coin doctoring in the public mind, which, obviously, is nothing short of a gold mine to a TPG. I mean, you better have your coin in a slab, now. Otherwise, how do you know it's not AT?

So, all in all, I'm glad they at least got some benefit out of the ordeal, however incidental it in fact may have been.

Anybody here also a member over there? Why don't you suggest that to them? Maybe they just plum don't know that's where they went wrong.

Hmmm...there's a "Kurtdog" over there as well. I assume that's you? If so, why are you asking for someone else to "suggest that to them" over there instead of doing it yourself?

;)

Smart. Except I banned myself from there about a year ago when I saw what they did to Mark Feld and I can't in good conscience go back on that.

And if you don't believe that story I'll make up another one. ;)

Why should coin doctors be sued? What illegal act are they committing?

Maybe change the word "illegal" to "...a physical act undertaken with specific intent to deceive at the expense of others...".

That may start a ballgame.......

this comes to mind ->

(but still hard to prove, unless videotaped doing and explaining to someone what/why)

In criminal law, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent. The specific legal definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Fraud is a crime, and also a civil law violation. Defrauding people or entities of money or valuables is a common purpose of fraud.

PCGS is known for their excellent customer service for the average collector. I'm certain they will jump right on this as soon as you mention it.

You gotta stop that. My sarcasm alarm went off so loud I spilled my morning coffee all over myself. I'll send you my paypal address after I figure the total cleaning bill.

Why should coin doctors be sued? What illegal act are they committing?

Maybe change the word "illegal" to "...a physical act undertaken with specific intent to deceive at the expense of others...".

That may start a ballgame.......

I just saw a beer commercial full of beautiful people, having fun, enjoying life. I feel like if I drink that same beer, my life will be just as fantastic!

Should I sue that company if, instead of turning into one of the beautiful people, I get a beer-belly from drinking the beer? After all, their commercial deceived me into thinking beer gets you beautiful friends and happiness...

I can see the possibility that your Case may have merit, and might even be worthy of class action.

However, in respect for your kindness in replying, and with no other intent, the part missing in the commercial is "...undertaken with specific intent to deceive...".

The commercial did not promise to transform you physically, and an argument could be made that the intent was to only have beautiful people purchase the product.

Since you are admitting that you are not one of the beautiful people, unfortunately, you would probably be excluded from any class action, based on the fact that the commercial did not deceive you; you simply did not understand the operative word "beautiful", as a requirement prior to purchasing (unless the commercial was Barneys Back Yard Brew-Barney has a wierd understanding of beautiful).

I can see the possibility that your Case may have merit, and might even be worthy of class action.

However, in respect for your kindness in replying, and with no other intent, the part missing in the commercial is "...undertaken with specific intent to deceive...".

The commercial did not promise to transform you physically, and an argument could be made that the intent was to only have beautiful people purchase the product.

Since you are admitting that you are not one of the beautiful people, unfortunately, you would probably be excluded from any class action, based on the fact that the commercial did not deceive you; you simply did not understand the operative word "beautiful", as a requirement prior to purchasing (unless the commercial was Barneys Back Yard Brew-Barney has a wierd understanding of beautiful).

After I have 6-12.....I think I'm one of the beutiful people, then I go to sleep and wake up with a headache feeling like I have to puke....it's all just lies

When they dip coins, or add color, or erase scratches, what promises do coin doctors make that go unfulfilled? An argument could be made that a coin doctor's intent is to only sell coins to people who want doctored coins.

Definition of "coin doctor" and the damage caused aside, I always love when I hear others say that "somebody" (else) "ought to" (do) "something".

It is always that "somebody else". Never the person instigating, but always "somebody else".

;)

When they dip coins, or add color, or erase scratches, what promises do coin doctors make that go unfulfilled? An argument could be made that a coin doctor's intent is to only sell coins to people who want doctored coins.

Granted the argument could be made,however silly.

Me thinks thou dost protest to much, though......

One way to look at it would be a wrecked car and a good mechanic.....

If the mechanie can "erase scratches" and make the car NOT look like it was totaled, then, would you want the car? Would you want it at the price of a NON-totaled car? Would you want to know if it was "fixed" and/or would you tell any other potential purchaser down the line about the history? Would you tell others, who admire it, that it was "fixed" and to what extent? If it were insured, would you tell the insurance, so in case something happened, they could pay you the fair value?

I look at doctored coins in that type of mindframe....I do not consider simple dipping, done right, as doctoring, but erasing scratches, purposefully toning via chemical means (or heat, etc), metal movement, etc, does meet a bar that I wouldn't be happy with for the vast majority of my collection.

Rather than say "never", I would have to stretch and say the only knowingly doctored type of coin I may be ok with would be an ultra rarity that was doctored, and known to be doctored, and has that in its providence....and that I couldn't easily replace it with an "as-nice" non-doctored coin.

The quotes above show that my protest has fewer words than yours :) .