• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PF70 STAR

12 posts in this topic

check it out

HI everyone. I'm sure most of you seen this coin on ebay from datentype. I just purchased it for $127.50. I've only been dealing in coins about 4 years now, and I've never seen one of these. All I know is I wanted it.

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen another 70 star out there. NGC says they do not grade 70 stars. Could this be the only one out there? Do you guys think I over paid?

I would love anyone's input.

Thanks

Brian

12278.JPG

See more journals by chunk-it

I'm not really much on proof coins, but I believe the star designation denotes exceptional cameo appearance on a coin they wouldn't give the ultra cameo designation.

I think you did well. The PF 70 part is probably worth what you paid for this coin.

I did see this coin on the Bay, as I generally peruse Datentype auctions every week.

Good score!

Todd

Hi Brian ~ You done Good !!!! A beauty of a coin indeed. By the way, there is a NGC PF 70 Star 2004-S Roosie on eBay right now for $439.89. It is interesting that they clain it is the only NGC PF 70 coin with a star. I guess that they don't know about yours.

Best,

Benny

check it out

HI everyone. I'm sure most of you seen this coin on ebay from datentype. I just purchased it for $127.50. I've only been dealing in coins about 4 years now, and I've never seen one of these. All I know is I wanted it.

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen another 70 star out there. NGC says they do not grade 70 stars. Could this be the only one out there? Do you guys think I over paid?

Thanks

Brian

12278.JPG

I looked this coin up on NGC's verification page. It's there with a picture. Interesting because NGC states on the * & + page that they don't give a star to MS or PF 70 graded coins. I guess this is a labeling error?

I also checked the verication page and if you do not know they list the coin as the following:

NGC Coin Price Guide: $41.25**

NGC Coin Price Guide

*NumisMedia does not specifically report prices for star designated coins. The standard NumisMedia price for the applicable numerical grade is displayed.

It is a nice coin and if you like this coin the price should not matter.

Ed

best_category2011.gif

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

check it out

Thanks

Brian

12278.JPG

I looked this coin up on NGC's verification page. It's there with a picture. Interesting because NGC states on the * & + page that they don't give a star to MS or PF 70 graded coins. I guess this is a labeling error?
They won't give it to MS-70's or PF-70UC's. The * clearly designates a superior Cameo that didn't qualify for UC.

check it out

Thanks

Brian

12278.JPG

They won't give it to MS-70's or PF-70UC's. The * clearly designates a superior Cameo that didn't qualify for UC.
Good to know. Their website does not make that distinction. (That I saw) It states: " As they are already of the ultimate grade, any coin graded MS 70 or PF 70 will not be eligible for the * ". Does make sense though.....A coin between Cameo and UC should get some extra love!

check it out

Thanks

Brian

12278.JPG

NGC initially stated that an MS or PF 70 would not be eligable for the STAR because such a coin is supposed to have magnificent eye appeal, by default. However, eye appeal is not the only reason a STAR is issued. Coins with PL, DPL, CAM or Ultra CAM characteristics only on one side will receive a STAR as well. Your PF70 STAR CAMEO was given because the coin is beyond CAMEO and just missed ULTRA CAMEO.

Hey Brian

I've seen this once before, sometime last year a member here found a PF70*UC Kennedy Half dollar on Teletrade, as I remember, or it may have been a cameo, which would make more sense. I understand the designation denotes exceptional eye appleal for the date, for color toning present on MS and cameo contrast in PF coins. Yours is the only the second 70* I've ever seen.

Great find!

Merlin8*