• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1904 O Morgan

24 posts in this topic

This is an average coin from a 400-500 morgan collection that I am trying to learn how to cull to send a sample for grading. Apologize for the poor pictures (If anyone can point me to resources to take better photos it is much appreciated).

Remember I an absolutely new (so don't laugh), I guess MS64????? Will report the grade after I get it sent and receive.

131134.jpg.9fe1f38dab48fdcb037fb29f8ac63f3b.jpg

131135.jpg.784e283fda198452f608617668e78bde.jpg

131136.jpg.add060f42cc550b5f823194045a649ff.jpg

131137.jpg.7b47da0876d6b2e9de4c00c2db8ce76d.jpg

Going by the pics I'll wager 64. Breast seems a bit week, as most O mint Morgans are. The cheek is quite nice going by the images. Did you inherit a 4-5 hundred Morgan collection? If you did, I suggest a 2013 Whitman Redbook at the very least and would recommend The Guide to Morgan Dollars by David Bowers. The 1904O is considered a common as over a million were released in MS during the Treasury release of 1962.

Here are some recent ending actions from Teletrade. Unless it's a 5 or better I wouldn't bother, unless of course it's a 64 DMPL

19040 link

Generally isn't worthwhile grading generic Morgans.
You wouldnt get a 1890 morgan graded? Take a look at one at ms 64 and then at 65 which I myself am fighting right now to have one upped.

By the way to answer your question.The Pictures arnt that good but based on the marks I do have a idea where they are at from the pics,its a 63 is my guess.I just got back a 64 this same year if you want to see it let me know and ill post it.

How did 1890 Morgans come up?

The 1904-O I would guess at MS64 based on the weak strike as mentioned by a previous poster on the eagle breast feathers as well as the mushy area around liberty's ear.

I also agree this coin is not worth the expense of grading as it is very common in high grade.

Thanks all for your advice and opinions. Some of the things you mentioned I didn't even see (being a novice). These coins were given out as Christmas presents by my dad's (and grandfather) employer as Christmas bonuses. My dad said they came directly from the Fed Reserve to the bank, were put in Christmas stockings and handed to employees. There are probably tens of thousands of them in his community. My dad's are all very shiny (luster?).

I have a 65th edition Yeoman Red Book. As it sits, my dad's local (and only) dealer would give him $30. At MS63 it is $65, at MS64 it is $80, I realize these are retail prices. I can send in a bulk order for discount grading at $12 per. My wife is an established ebay seller with thousands of transactions so we have a retail(ish) outlet for my dad. What I am getting from all of you is it may be worth it to get them graded at MS64 but not at MS63. That is what I suspected, and am trying to learn a bit about grading. I will have to wait for my next visit to check all the dates and mint marks of the others. My dad only gave me a tube of 20 to take to a dealer where I live.

Here is a second coin that I took (hopefully) some better pictures of. That part of this process is still a work in progress. I sacrified some of the luster to show the detail better.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

131236.jpg.c885a67f055ceb5dbc3fe286b8543b6e.jpg

131237.jpg.dc30a004745829538011149239210ee8.jpg

Thanks all for your advice and opinions. Some of the things you mentioned I didn't even see (being a novice). These coins were given out as Christmas presents by my dad's (and grandfather) employer as Christmas bonuses. My dad said they came directly from the Fed Reserve to the bank, were put in Christmas stockings and handed to employees. There are probably tens of thousands of them in his community. My dad's are all very shiny (luster?).

I have a 65th edition Yeoman Red Book. As it sits, my dad's local (and only) dealer would give him $30. At MS63 it is $65, at MS64 it is $80, I realize these are retail prices. I can send in a bulk order for discount grading at $12 per. My wife is an established ebay seller with thousands of transactions so we have a retail(ish) outlet for my dad. What I am getting from all of you is it may be worth it to get them graded at MS64 but not at MS63. That is what I suspected, and am trying to learn a bit about grading. I will have to wait for my next visit to check all the dates and mint marks of the others. My dad only gave me a tube of 20 to take to a dealer where I live.

Here is a second coin that I took (hopefully) some better pictures of. That part of this process is still a work in progress. I sacrified some of the luster to show the detail better.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

What would make it worth submitting, IMO, is if it would grade 65 or higher.

63 and 64, not worth it as they can be found from $50-$70 slabbed at those grades.

The luster and look of that coin is suspicious to me. I would verify its authenticity before selling any more.

I don’t see a problem with the coin – probably some weird lighting effect. I still would encourage him to have the coins looked at from a local dealer.

The luster and look of that coin is suspicious to me. I would verify its authenticity before selling any more.

Now that I look at it, the first pic does make it look polished or something. hm

UPDATE:

I sent in a sample of ten for grading, basically as an investment in "standards" to help me assess the rest of what my dad has. Did the economy service so should have them back in another 15 days or so and I will post the results then.

Appreciate the advice.

:applause:

I think any issues you are seeing are from lighting. Even absent an effect of lighting, I see nothing that would cause me to doubt the coin's authenticity.