• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Only DPL Seated Quarter

33 posts in this topic

As you guys all know, I'm in the middle of a PL Type set. I'm a third of the way there, and the set is coming along nicely (slowly!). Every so often, a killer coin just appears - and I'd be a fool not to jump at the chance. Such a chance came along with this one: the only DPL Seated Quarter graded in the series! A member here posted a link to it and I bought it within minutes.

The coin arrived a few days ago, and I just now had the time to photo it. The strike is immaculate, the fields are clean (clean enough for a 64, but every single little tick shows on these mirrors). And what mirrors! Deep, watery pools of silver. Absolutely gorgeous. Its topped off by a cameo that would surely earn a UCAM if this were a proof. Minor striking weakness (especially the stars on the obverse) tell me this is indeed a business strike. There are minor patches of fine die polish, but not much. This is truly a special coin.

IMG_9717.jpg

IMG_9723.jpg

About a year or two ago, I posted a thread asking where the rest of the PL and DMPL examples for other denominations were, figuring that if Morgans could have such examples by the tens, if not hundreds, of thousands, SURELY there had to be examples of other denominations that survived, even if only a handful..

At the time, everyone had surmised that because the dies for the dollars were basined, and other denominations weren't necessarily, that PL and DMPL examples may not ever have existed.

Or, if there were PL and DMPL examples, they were simply lost to the ravages of time, because they weren't sitting by the millions in Treasury storage for 60-80 years, as the Morgans were.

So...it's nice to see that these coins DO exist in other denominations.

:applause:

wow your PL set is much better than mine! i only have one coin that you don't have and that is a silver kennedy half PL, there are a couple more around but not too many. congrats on the set, one day mine will be as impressive

Nice pick-up Jason

I know your biased, but I think this would only garner a DCAM if it were a proof.

There were 1,150 proofs struck in 1876, but since this coin is already holdered as a business strike, the possibilities it is a proof is almost nil.

What a nice coin and ever so scarce----I DO like it!

Besides Walkers and SLQs, Seated coinage is among my favorite.

It's nice to see that you're making such good progress on your set, too. Congrats!

Good coins just seem to surface---you just can't find them, at will, that's for sure. You gotta look, of course, but they will come when they come. :) It is not something that we can control.

That's looks like a great one. I'd like to see that in hand. I've never been a big fan of PL coins (due to the usual die polishing...reminds me of hairlines too much)...I always like to see these free of polishing.

Great pick up....

jom

Nice pick-up Jason

I know your biased, but I think this would only garner a DCAM if it were a proof.

There were 1,150 proofs struck in 1876, but since this coin is already holdered as a business strike, the possibilities it is a proof is almost nil.

Don't want to nitpick, but DCAM and UCAM are the same thing. PCGS uses DCAM, NGC uses UCAM. It is the widely held opinion that PCGS is more strict on cameos, so DCAM earns a premium.

wow your PL set is much better than mine! i only have one coin that you don't have and that is a silver kennedy half PL, there are a couple more around but not too many. congrats on the set, one day mine will be as impressive

I actually do have a silver Kennedy PL - it's raw and I haven't sent it in yet. Its a 70D, I grade it 64PL, and has flashy mirrors. It will be sent in eventually.

Nice pick-up Jason

Don't want to nitpick, but DCAM and UCAM are the same thing. PCGS uses DCAM, NGC uses UCAM. It is the widely held opinion that PCGS is more strict on cameos, so DCAM earns a premium.

Based on the images provided, I do not think the coin would earn a deep/ultra cam designation if it were a Proof. And not even close, really. Sorry, though I guess it's a moot point, anyway. ;)

I don't think I would call the strike "immaculate" (the star middle divider lines are a bit weak). But, who cares on a coin like this? I bet it is crazy sexy in hand. (thumbs u

Interestingly, there are 6 PL examples of this particular date. It must have been a good year for PLs.

As you guys all know, I'm in the middle of a PL Type set. I'm a third of the way there, and the set is coming along nicely (slowly!). Every so often, a killer coin just appears - and I'd be a fool not to jump at the chance. Such a chance came along with this one: the only DPL Seated Quarter graded in the series! A member here posted a link to it and I bought it within minutes.

The coin arrived a few days ago, and I just now had the time to photo it. The strike is immaculate, the fields are clean (clean enough for a 64, but every single little tick shows on these mirrors). And what mirrors! Deep, watery pools of silver. Absolutely gorgeous. Its topped off by a cameo that would surely earn a UCAM if this were a proof. Minor striking weakness (especially the stars on the obverse) tell me this is indeed a business strike. There are minor patches of fine die polish, but not much. This is truly a special coin.

I was watching this piece, too, Jason ;)

It looks like the mirrors are all there, based on your pictures. Prooflike and DPL Seated Quarters and halves do exist, though many of them are not designated, including every example currently housed in a PCGS slab.

I once handled this monster, DPL 1881. The pictures are not very good, but are all I have left on this one.

1881oDPLdsized.jpg

1881rDPLdsized.jpg

I was watching this piece, too, Jason ;)

It looks like the mirrors are all there, based on your pictures. Prooflike and DPL Seated Quarters and halves do exist, though many of them are not designated, including every example currently housed in a PCGS slab.

I once handled this monster, DPL 1881. The pictures are not very good, but are all I have left on this one.

1881oDPLdsized.jpg

1881rDPLdsized.jpg

Doug, that is a beauty. If you ever run across PL pieces like this (really, anything that is missing from my set) - drop me a line.

Breen's Proof book mentions (under 1876) "At least some of these are from a curious reverse die with southeast-pointing dash in field just down from berry above Q"

Hard to tell from the picture, but there seems to be something coming down from that berry.

Could be a one-strike Proof.

Could be a one-strike Proof.

Would this more or less be the result of using a retired proof die to strike business strike coinage? Are there any other possibilities for a one-strike proof?

P.S. I really like the piece. It is gorgeous.