• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1867 Seated Dollar

11 posts in this topic

Pretty much what I figured. It is somewhat a better date. Now for the next question, what is market price?

I will put it up on the other thread.

Thank You.

I would only give it a F15 based on the images and the amount of weakness on the shield and the wings on the reverse.

It has been cleaned and has some scratches in the right facing field. I'm not sure that it's graffiti but they are noticeable scratch marks.

I don't think it would slab in a problem free holder.

For my education, what indications do you see telling you its been cleaned? And how can you tell the differece between weak strike and wear?

OK--You could literally write a book about of those two topics but I will try to be as to the point as I can.

When a coin has WEAR as opposed to a weak strike there are LUSTER BREAKS in that area. The luster has been worn away and depleted. The area is dull and a grey color. You can really see the luster breaks with a good light source and a loupe. Knowing the series helps alot too, so that you may understand, which issues are weakly struck and which are not. Some wear may go well beyond the weakest struck coin of a given issue and then you can recognize that, immediately.

When a coin has been CLEANED you will see scratches and un-natural areas that are LIGHTER than the rest of the coin and they look polished and inconsitent. I notice it in the right facing field. The area will also be dull and lackluster.

PHYSICS-FAN3.14 wrote a decent article about grading, cleaning and such and posted it in the WYNTK section of these boards. I would suggest that you read it. It would be a good starting point for you or any beginner. SEE BELOW.

WYNTK Article

Pictures can be deceiving. In my opinion,this one has not been cleaned. However scratches (although they appear to not be recent) may very well keep this from being in a TPG no-problem holder. A nice type coin nonetheless.

Appreciate all opinions.

I have it on the other thread if someone may be interested in acquiring it.

Thank You.

The sharpness grade falls in the Fine-15 to VF-20 area. I wish that the shield was a little sharper because then it would be a "no question" VF sharpness coin. The graffiti puts a damper on things and takes the coin down to a net grade of VG. I think that the $300 price mentioned earlier is reasonable.