• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now here is a WOW! coin.

27 posts in this topic

Most of that guy's inventory are "WOW" coins.

PS -- That coin just sold on 8/2/2012 in a Heritage auction for $852,000 (Link here).

I guess his M.O. is to buy coins and mark them up 50% for sale on eBay? Strange business model for coins of that caliber. (shrug) Seems more likely that he uses eBay for a free (or almost free) advertisement venue and the majority of the transactions probably take place off of their site. Who knows.

The images (of the slab, obviously he took the HA images for the closeups) are so dark.

All of the images are from HA -- the slab and the close-ups.

The images (of the slab, obviously he took the HA images for the closeups) are so dark.

Pretty cheezy. You would think someone trying to sell something for over $1M would spend a couple bucks to take good pics.

Is it just laziness, or ???

Pretty cheezy. You would think someone trying to sell something for over $1M would spend a couple bucks to take good pics.

Is it just laziness, or ???

Overlooked those. I still think those pictures almost look like a different coin entirely.

That sure is a wonderful, WOW coin! I agree, Jim!

This is the same guy who purchased the finest known 1919-S WLH on the planet---an NGC MS 67 pop one with NONE finer and NONE known at PCGS. He paid about 35K for it in a Heritage auction and he now has it offered on EBAY for almost 50K!

Likewise, as with the 19-S, Ebay is NOT the venue for such a coin. I believe he is just using their site for massive exposure and then hoping for a private sale. He will then simply end the auction early and claim that the coin is no longer available, so as to avoid any fees associated with the listing.

Doesn't it seem strange to put coins of this value on Ebay especially without a plethora of photos? Or is it done to enhance his other listings? Just doesn't seem the right venue to me, but what do I know, I don't have coins of such value!

Doesn't it seem strange to put coins of this value on Ebay especially without a plethora of photos? Or is it done to enhance his other listings? Just doesn't seem the right venue to me, but what do I know, I don't have coins of such value!

No--it is not unusual and, as I said, it is done for free mass exposure. ;)

Not free... But for 50 cents it doesn't get much better.

I'm pretty sure the guy putting down a mil. for a coin is not going to go on pictures alone.

No matter how many or how good. So why bother?

Not free... But for 50 cents it doesn't get much better.

EXTREME exposure is more like it ... but but nows are not 50c

unless he 'knows' someone ahem ahem

It is a very very nice coin.

But I have to agree with most of your guys on here he probably does it to enhance his Google rankings. Notice how the bottom is a replica of one of his inside webpages.

I've seen alot of this sellers coins and I think many of his coins priced in the thousands have been listed over and over again for months. He does have a webpage off eBay also.

IMHO, Ebay would be the last place I would list a coin with a price like that. How many people do you think who have 2 million bucks to spend on one rare item are going to look to spend it on eBay? Maybe if it was a luxury armored car with 24K gold interior trim listed in ebay motors.

Its a nice coin but we will probably see it listed for a while and maybe never see the price get lowered.

-Dave

I guess the only downside would be if one gets known for overpriced listings and they become avoided - there is one particular Ebay seller (I won't mention his name) that I won't even bother to look at his coins if they show up from a search because they are ALWAYS overpriced.

I'm not familiar with the seller of this particular coin, but it is a really nice coin.

Too funny. This guy probably paid a LOT for this coin originally but he can't find a photographer to take his own photo? Bizarre.

jom

Too funny. This guy probably paid a LOT for this coin originally but he can't find a photographer to take his own photo? Bizarre.

jom

I see nothing bizarre about it. He is advertising the coin to a huge audience, at virtually no cost. It's highly unlikely that it will sell on Ebay anyway, and for a coin of that type, I don't see how the image used will make any appreciable difference.

jom

I see nothing bizarre about it. He is advertising the coin to a huge audience, at virtually no cost. It's highly unlikely that it will sell on Ebay anyway, and for a coin of that type, I don't see how the image used will make any appreciable difference.

I tend to agree--these images are as good or near good, as any, and he will likely sell it privately through direct contact but listing it on EBAY shows it to MANY prospective buyers. Whoever buys it may want to see it in person, regardless of ANY pictures but EBAY reaches a wide audience and that's how people find buyers and sellers of coins.

jom

OK, Mr. Nitpick. I'll take back the "bizarre" and just state that is NOT what I'd do. I suppose this is such a huge coin you'd have to see it in person. I disagree on one thing though...the photos are crappy.

jom

jom

OK, Mr. Nitpick. I'll take back the "bizarre" and just state that is NOT what I'd do. I suppose this is such a huge coin you'd have to see it in person. I disagree on one thing though...the photos are crappy.

jom

How can you disagree with me regarding the quality of the photos? I didn't even comment on that. :devil:

jom

jom

How can you disagree with me regarding the quality of the photos? I didn't even comment on that. :devil:

That was actually directed to Walkerfan's post. It's more of a comment on Heritage's crappy photos....

jom

jom

jom

That was actually directed to Walkerfan's post. It's more of a comment on Heritage's crappy photos....

jom

Well, not to be too nit-picky, but why didn't you quote him instead of me, when you posted your reply which was directed at him?

:devil:

Well, not to be too nit-picky, but why didn't you quote him instead of me, when you posted your reply which was directed at him?

That would mean I'd have to set up two quote sections. I was lazy. On the other hand since you've decided to make a federal case out of it I've probably now written more about this now anyway. :facepalm:

jom

That would mean I'd have to set up two quote sections. I was lazy. On the other hand since you've decided to make a federal case out of it I've probably now written more about this now anyway. :facepalm:

jom

You guys are too funny! lol