• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW. That thread got zapped (the one $250,000).

31 posts in this topic

Would be interested to know why it went away so fast. It seemed a bit strange, but to get zapped someone must have known something ????

Would be interested to know why it went away so fast. It seemed a bit strange, but to get zapped someone must have known something ????

All I know is the guy said he had some coin with leaves or some such things on it he was offering to sell and I replied I had a Donald Duck Pez Dispenser. That is to say, he didn't even post a picture of the coin. Then I left the restaurant and when I got home I saw the thread is gone.

Gee whiz, I hope it wasn't my fault. I mean, I really do have a Donald Duck Pez Dispenser.

Gee whiz, I hope it wasn't my fault. I mean, I really do have a Donald Duck Pez Dispenser.
This reply is worthless without pics of the Pez dispenser!!!!! :roflmao:

This reply is worthless without pics of the Pez dispenser!!!!! :roflmao:

And I walked right into that one. :grin:

EDIT: What the heck?

130894.jpg.d09787f5d76f035ce6009ec550a41adf.jpg

Some fool (a new member and probably an alt who was trolling) was trying to sell an open wreath gold dollar without any grade or pics for $250,000 and then the thread quickly went down hill from there which was why it was deleted. NGC is much more tolerant that ATS but even NGC has its limits.

Some fool (a new member and probably an alt who was trolling) was trying to sell an open wreath gold dollar without any grade or pics for $250,000 and then the thread quickly went down hill from there which was why it was deleted. NGC is much more tolerant that ATS but even NGC has its limits.

That's unduly harsh and a poor welcome for potential newcomers and/or those with questions.

It looked to me as if the poster was trying to determine the value of the coin, not trying to sell it here.

And he did email a picture to me, which I posted here, apparently, shortly before the thread was deleted.

I was shocked that the thread was deleted and disappointed in some of the replies that had been posted.

That's unduly harsh and a poor welcome for potential newcomers and/or those with questions.

It looked to me as if the poster was trying to determine the value of the coin, not trying to sell it here.

And he did email a picture to me, which I posted here, apparently, shortly before the thread was deleted.

I was shocked that the thread was deleted and disappointed in some of the replies that had been posted.

Wasn't me, this time. I"m clean (insert smiley face and halo here).

Wasn't me, this time. I"m clean (insert smiley face and halo here).

Prove it!

:D

My post was the first reply and it was to when the OP simply represented he had the "250,000" coin. After I posted that reply I saw he edited his post to add the query whether anybody wanted to buy the coin. That's when I packed it up and left the restaurant. When I got home and logged back on, which was maybe thirty or forty minutes later, I saw the entire thread gone, and this thread in it's place. I don't know exactly what happened, as I didn't see any of the other replies. However, I am supremely confident in this. If NGC zapped it, it deserved it.

The first post in the thread was requesting offers for the coin. Even if the board member wanted input, it was still a solicitation for sale.

The first post in the thread was requesting offers for the coin. Even if the board member wanted input, it was still a solicitation for sale.

Tom, even assuming that to be the case, why wouldn't/shouldn't the thread simply have been moved to the Money Marketplace forum ?

I'd imagine because of some of the points that PerryHall mentioned as well as the possibility that it was just a troll. You'd have to ask NGC, but I wasn't all that surprised when it disappeared.

I'd imagine because of some of the points that PerryHall mentioned as well as the possibility that it was just a troll. You'd have to ask NGC, but I wasn't all that surprised when it disappeared.

I have asked and someone is checking on it.

As noted, per my suggestion, the poster sent me an image, which I posted here before the thread disappeared. And, while the coin looked like a counterfeit to me, I don't think the poster was a troll. But rather, I believe he was an understandably very excited person who thought he might have an extremely valuable coin and went about things in the wrong way.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh but when a new member claims to have a coin and doesn't give us any information about it other that it's an open wreath gold dollar and yet includes "$250,000" in the title to his thread, I am suspicious that someone is stirring the pot here. Common sense says that no one can evaluate a coin without information concerning this coin. I was probably in bed by the time the pic was posted which the OP should have included in his initial post and it doesn't surprise me that it may be a fake. The fact that this thread was delete by the moderators leads me to believe that they felt the same way.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh but when a new member claims to have a coin and doesn't give us any information about it other that it's an open wreath gold dollar and yet includes "$250,000" in the title to his thread, I am suspicious that someone is stirring the pot here. Common sense says that no one can evaluate a coin without information concerning this coin. I was probably in bed by the time the pic was posted which the OP should have included in his initial post and it doesn't surprise me that it may be a fake. The fact that this thread was delete by the moderators leads me to believe that they felt the same way.

In theory, I agree with you. But a lot of people who hear about, read about or even own rare/valuable coins, don't necessarily understand that the value is largely determined by condition. And that at a minimum, images are usually needed, in order to give a ballpark value and authenticity guess, etc.

We have seen that time and time again on the forums, and read about it in the newspaper and/or on line (as in the case of 1804 Dollar and 1943 bronze cents). It's not unusual.

I hate to show my ignorance yet again, but in this context; what is a "troll". I am pretty sure you don't mean the poster might have been a stony creature who hides under bridges in fairy tales...

Exactly. There's no big mystery to this one. Give NGC some credit for having some common sense. Put another way, I wouldn't buy a Donald Duck Pez Dispenser unless I saw a picture of it, and neither would I offer one for sale unless I offered a picture of it. Anybody who has the brains enough to know how to spit I'd imagine knows that much. And this coin was being represented as a $250,000 coin.

I hate to show my ignorance yet again, but in this context; what is a "troll". I am pretty sure you don't mean the poster might have been a stony creature who hides under bridges in fairy tales...

" And then there is the message board troll. Message board "trolls" are people who come to message boards to cause trouble. They might start out appearing to fit in to the community, but later turn out to be a troublemaker. Sometimes message board trolls are new identities created by long-established members of the board; they create the message board troll to cause mischief, or to say nasty thoughts they feel they cannot express as their more established identity. Message board trolls can make or break a message board. It's important to know how to spot a message board troll."

In theory, I agree with you. But a lot of people who hear about, read about or even own rare/valuable coins, don't necessarily understand that the value is largely determined by condition. And that at a minimum, images are usually needed, in order to give a ballpark value and authenticity guess, etc.

We have seen that time and time again on the forums, and read about it in the newspaper and/or on line (as in the case of 1804 Dollar and 1943 bronze cents). It's not unusual.

If he just asked what it's worth I would have had no problem but when he puts $250,000 in the title of his thread it raises a red flag. I certainly hope that he can stick around to learn about coins and becomes a good citizen of this forum. He wouldn't be the first forum member that had a rocky start.

Exactly. There's no big mystery to this one. Give NGC some credit for having some common sense. Put another way, I wouldn't buy a Donald Duck Pez Dispenser unless I saw a picture of it, and neither would I offer one for sale unless I offered a picture of it. Anybody who has the brains enough to know how to spit I'd imagine knows that much. And this coin was being represented as a $250,000 coin.

You know Kurtdog, that pic of a Donald Duck Pez dispenser looked an awful lot like a stock photo. How can we be sure you REALLY have one?

All I know is the guy said he had some coin with leaves or some such things on it he was offering to sell and I replied I had a Donald Duck Pez Dispenser. That is to say, he didn't even post a picture of the coin. Then I left the restaurant and when I got home I saw the thread is gone.

And a VERY nice one at that!! Yes you do!

" And then there is the message board troll. Message board "trolls" are people who come to message boards to cause trouble. They might start out appearing to fit in to the community, but later turn out to be a troublemaker. Sometimes message board trolls are new identities created by long-established members of the board; they create the message board troll to cause mischief, or to say nasty thoughts they feel they cannot express as their more established identity. Message board trolls can make or break a message board. It's important to know how to spot a message board troll."

HEY!!!!!!

That is a litle harsh....well, the troublemaker part, not so much.

Not that I speak from experience or anything. I'm just saying....

You know Kurtdog, that pic of a Donald Duck Pez dispenser looked an awful lot like a stock photo. How can we be sure you REALLY have one?

George, get real. I'm going to find the time to get it out and take a picture of it? When somebody offers me $250,000 for it, I'll get it out and take a picture of it. Until then, this reasonable facsimile thereof will just have to hold you.

PS: For 250,000, I'll throw in my Mickey Mouse and Goofy, too, free of charge.

George, get real. I'm going to find the time to get it out and take a picture of it? When somebody offers me $250,000 for it, I'll get it out and take a picture of it. Until then, this reasonable facsimile thereof will just have to hold you.

PS: For 250,000, I'll throw in my Mickey Mouse and Goofy, too, free of charge.

I understand, heres a couple I have, in hand, will let them go for a lot less. let me know, Took me less than 5 mins

130924.jpg.21c1455d87fbde9cc333ea9023c0e757.jpg