• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Assessing the "True" Value of Your Inventory?

12 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and actually this is my 2nd official post. Being relatively young to collecting (~2 years), I wanted to guage the audience on a "rule of thumb" per se on conservatively estimating the value of your collection(s). I would say its safe to say that when we log on to the collection manager and Coin "X' has a value of say $500, that you could possibly obtain that exact value but more likely you will not given the competition out there. For those that have complete sets is there a good rule of thumb to use...i.e. the collection manager shows your set has a cumulative value of $20K but in regards to liquidating that set today to a dealer, etc you can expect to get 5%, 10% or 20% under current value? What is a dealers's standard offer? I see all these adds saying "We pay top dollar!" For the experts on the board with real life experience in this arena what is "top dollar?"..what is the industry cut applied to the offer to purchase your set? I can't imaging anyone paying the face value I see online. I have no plans to sell as I love the hobby aspect, but it would be nice to know what the real market will produce to properly factor that value into your asset base. Obviously some sets are more coveted then others but in tracking one's net worth, I feel that what we see online is somewhat optimistic! Thanks for the input in advance!

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, there is no universal or good rule regarding what you should reasonably expect for your coins, compared to what's listed in a price guide.

It depends upon a number of factors, including, but not limited to: How accurate/realistic the guide is in the first place, the type and grades of your coins, current market conditions, how the quality and eye-appeal of your coins stack up against others of the same grade and the venue in which you might wish to sell your coins.

If you are not already familiar with the Heritage auction archives, I suggest that you sign up on their website. There is no charge and the amount of available information (pertaining to the sale of coins and their prices realized) is fantastic.

Really, the best way to judge the value of your collection is to look at completed auction sales. I generally track the value of my coins based on my best guess - taking into account current price guides, auction history, what I know about the market, and sales I've observed.

For my insurance purposes I use NGC price guide (thumbs u

But to determine the real value you have to look at numerous aspects like Mark said. For example one slabbed coin can be worth 75% of price guide value while another in the same grade slabbed can be worth 200%.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Go to Coin Explorer on the NGC website under the Research header. It provides values as well as census information and facts about the coin.

Great information! Thanks again.

Also, AnkurJ, I like your SF Logo avatar. I recently sold my F430 but still am very active in FCA and am waiting for 458's to come down. The Italians do something special with those cars.

Very cool! The 458's are gorgeous but they seem to have lots of issues. I bought a 599 last year. A dream come true for me!