• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barber Dime - What's Going On?

15 posts in this topic

What do you think happened here? My first inclination was the the die had chipped (see front of lips). But, I haven't seen die chips cause what is going on with the chin & nose. Any ideas?

<a  href=barbernosechin.jpg' alt='barbernosechin.

First thought without seeing the entire coin is tooling or metal displacement from being whizzed.

I would like to see the rest of the coin to rule this out as a possibility - but I don't see any traces of it in the image we have. The metal pile-up at the devices doesn't look quite right for whizzing, either.

I'd say in front of the lips is a die break. The chin and nose really looks like machine doubling to me. When the die twists, it pushes metal and can sometimes have that look.

OK, here's the complete Obverse & Reverse. It's in a NGC MS-61 slab. The only other thing I think I'm seeing is some die clashing going on in the field in from of the face.

obv595x600.jpg

rev600x599.jpg

Uploaded with [url=http://imageshack

First thought without seeing the entire coin is tooling or metal displacement from being whizzed.

I would like to see the rest of the coin to rule this out as a possibility - but I don't see any traces of it in the image we have. The metal pile-up at the devices doesn't look quite right for whizzing, either.

I'd say in front of the lips is a die break. The chin and nose really looks like machine doubling to me. When the die twists, it pushes metal and can sometimes have that look.

I agree with Jason. I don't see any signs of whizzing or tooling.

That's uncirculated?

NGC thought it was......barely. They gave it an MS-61 grade. I got it for my AU set that I'm building.