• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare Coin Question Opinion?

21 posts in this topic

Coinschick, I see that you have parkavenumis.com on your sig line......how do you know them or have you bought from them before? Usually a newcomer won't know a large coin place like Park Ave

Coinschick, I see that you have parkavenumis.com on your sig line......how do you know them or have you bought from them before? Usually a newcomer won't know a large coin place like Park Ave

And the poster's forum profile shows the Park Avenue website as their home page.

Both I know them and have purchased from them before.

However, I personally don't know much about coins. So I ask most of my newbie questions on here.

If you do a Google search for Miami Coins Dealer you will get Park Ave.(I live in Miami, FL)

I would think that a bigger coin dealer would have better luck with someone starting out then a smaller coin dealer. Don't you think? :)

And the poster's forum profile shows the Park Avenue website as their home page.

I just realized that. I don't own Park Ave. I guess when I was signing up instead of putting it in the signature line I put it there. I have other websites that I own but it's not Park Ave.

Sorry for the confusion.

I just realized that. I don't own Park Ave. I guess when I was signing up instead of putting it in the signature line I put it there. I have other websites that I own but it's not Park Ave.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the clarification.

I was wondering the same thing and was also wondering if we are going to see the advent of paid advertising in the siglines of members. hm This seems to open that door.

Considering you're on the US Coins side of the NGC forum, you might want to either: a) focus on a US coin or b) go ask the World Coins guys what they're interested in.

I was wondering the same thing and was also wondering if we are going to see the advent of paid advertising in the siglines of members. hm This seems to open that door.

I just want to clear the air. I am truly on this forum to learn more on coin collecting. I write articles and blogs for the industry. I find it to be a fascinating hobby. I am in no way trying to use this site or any site to advertise. However, we are all allowed to put anything we want on our signature lines (its in the forum rules) and most of us add links to our signatures redirecting to other sites.

I really appreciate everyone's input and will make sure to share my articles with you once I have written them.

Thank you to those that support me by adding their valuable opinions.

I think you should write an article on the switch from Franklin half dollars to Kennedy half dollars

There was a law on the books that each series should last at least 25 years - I am curious how this series got switched earlier

Also I am curious about how Eunice Shriver got put on a commemorative coin while she was still alive - I thought there was a law saying they had to be dead.

Why do they even make laws if they are not going to follow them....

I think you should write an article on the switch from Franklin half dollars to Kennedy half dollars

There was a law on the books that each series should last at least 25 years - I am curious how this series got switched earlier

Also I am curious about how Eunice Shriver got put on a commemorative coin while she was still alive - I thought there was a law saying they had to be dead.

Why do they even make laws if they are not going to follow them....

It was to commemmorate Kennedy after he was assassinated.

Easy, if you check the law it allows for a change earlier than 25 years with the approval of Congress. The law allows the Sec of the Treasury to change the design on his own initiative without the approval once 25 years have passed. (Coinage Act of 1890)

Also easy, there is no such law. There is a law that forbids the depiction of a living person on CURRENCY, but not on coins. (The laws tend to be specifically separated to cover currency, or to cover coinage. There are few if any laws that cover both.) And they didn't have a problem with a living person on the currency until a clerk in the Treasury caused his own portrait to appear. (The design called for the "portraits of Lewis and Clark" to appear, and since his name was Clark he supplied his portrait and they used it.) Before then there had been several living people shown on the currency but they were Presidents, Politicians, Generals etc., not a lowly clerk.

Now with the State quarters, ATB quarters and President dollars it was specifically put into the authorizing legislation that no living person can be shown but that only covers those specific coin series and is not a general restriction. In fact even though it was passed at the same time the First Spouse coin does NOT forbid the depiction of a living person so potentially at the moment Rosalyn Carter, Nancy Reagan, and Barbara Bush could all potentially appear on a coin while they are still alive. (But for that to happen Jimmy Carter would have to die before mid 2014. If he doesn't then the series ends with Ford. If he does then Carter and Reagan are eligible, Bush would also have to die by mid 2014 for Mrs. Bush to be eligible.)