• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I KNEW IT!

17 posts in this topic

Coin vault hyping the NGC Black holders and selling ASE for way too much.

I posted my suspicion about this last month.

No shocking news.. its the Coin Vault. They gouge everything.

A year or so back, a dealer I buy from occasionally told me this story. He bought some coins from Coin Vault and the day after the order realized he could get the same coins cheaper from SilverTowne. He called SilverTowne to get the set he wanted at the lower price figuring he would just return the Vault coins when they arrived. While ordering, he mentioned what he was doing and why, and the order clerk told him that Coin Vault was just the television outlet of SilverTowne and that, yes the prices were better if you order from ST direct as the production costs have to be built into the sale if you order from the Vault. She then cancelled his Vault order and sent him the same coins at the discounted price from SilverTowne. The moral of the story is if you are burning brain cells watching the Coin Vault on TV and see something you like, order it from ST and save yourself some bucks.

With the selection of eligable coins limited to ultra-moderns, I knew instantly that this was being done for Coin Vault. Now, we are seeing Coin Vault offering Peace dollars in the retro-slab, but this option is not available to NGC members. doh!

As stated above SilverTowne has them much cheaper...

What I find surprising is that NGC put the peace dollars in there for certain customers but not the general public

In my mind, it cheapens the NGC brand -- associating itself with Coin Vault, and many may perceive it as an inside job.

That's just my perception...as I stated last month I figured this would happen. The way around it would be for true collectors to snub it and not participate or buy into it. I wont.

Maybe my criticism is a bit harsh, but if the collector was bypassed in favor of retail dealers that just doesn't seem right to me.

Thank You.