• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Teletrade lot

26 posts in this topic

There were no bids. The opening was something like $2700 or $2900. Could not find any history of this coin on HA.

Didn't see anything on TT tonite that appealed to me.

Dang jimbucks you should have bought that.....what a beauty!

I don't collect the series. If it was priced in line with non PL's I might have put in a bid but have no idea what (if any) a DPL designation is worth.

This is one of those Run Forrest Run TT listings... As although you may find a few nice coins on Teletrade it's mostly a dumping ground.

This is like a AU55 coin with a bad cheek staple cut and the surfaces look like they may be semi PL from having been messed with as it doesn't look healthy.

This one would have to have a Green Bean to convince me. Bad scratch on the cheek as Broadstruck notes, and if the images are correct, then too dipped out in the past, plus cleaned (strong hairlines in the fields on the obverse). It could be that in hand it is much nicer, but when viewing online and it looks like that without a green bean, then it is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

Best, HT

Scraped-up, big scratch across cheek, circulation rubs all over....not a very desirable coin, in my opinion.

The coin looks about right for an MS61. It is softly struck and heavily abraided. Its cleary been dipped out so it is not as desirable as it could have been. The luster is most certainly Prooflike, or it would not have gotten Deep Prooflike at NGC. It is not possible to judge the mirrors from the picture, but my guess is that it looks a lot better in person.

This is apparently the only one graded in DPL by NGC.

http://www.ngccoin.com/NGCCoinExplorer/CoinDetail.aspx?CoinID=15354

You are right - for most older coins NGC does NOT list the values of PL and DPL coins. Perhaps this is because the sample is too small or the auction results too sparse. Only the Morgans seem to have values listed for MS, PL and DPL.

As a rough rule of think I think PL is equivalent to one grade higher and DPL to two grades higher. Again very rough. A truly unique coin such as that DPL might fetch a lot more at a Stacks & Bowers auction than you might think.

:troll:

I have seen the Bust Quarter in person. It has deep, unmistakable mirrors. Unfortunately, the marks impede the mirrors to a point where I would not buy the coin.

As for the DPL Seated Quarter, I just put an offer on it. PL Seated Quarters are available, but harder to find than the dimes or halves. A DPL Seated Quarter? Fuhgeddaboudit. That's the only one in the series.

As a rough rule of think I think PL is equivalent to one grade higher and DPL to two grades higher. Again very rough. A truly unique coin such as that DPL might fetch a lot more at a Stacks & Bowers auction than you might think.

:troll:

Sorry, but I think your "rough rule" is overly broad and highly inaccurate, even for something you described as "very rough". Differences in value will be affected by the date, the grade, the value of the coin in non-PL (or non DPL) condition, etc.

I have seen some PL examples sell at modest premiums and others at significant ones.

If you really think your "rough rule" works, please give some examples.

I have seen the Bust Quarter in person. It has deep, unmistakable mirrors. Unfortunately, the marks impede the mirrors to a point where I would not buy the coin.

As for the DPL Seated Quarter, I just put an offer on it. PL Seated Quarters are available, but harder to find than the dimes or halves. A DPL Seated Quarter? Fuhgeddaboudit. That's the only one in the series.

Its good to see you back in the game Jason. (thumbs u

This is apparently the only one graded in DPL by NGC.

http://www.ngccoin.com/NGCCoinExplorer/CoinDetail.aspx?CoinID=15354

You are right - for most older coins NGC does NOT list the values of PL and DPL coins. Perhaps this is because the sample is too small or the auction results too sparse. Only the Morgans seem to have values listed for MS, PL and DPL.

Price guides do not and can not list values for PL's in any series except Morgans because there are just too few of them. For many series, the number of PL's are limited to a handful, or less. Series which do have PL's may only have them on one or two dates (such as the Franklin or Mercury). These coins are truly scarce, on a level which few collectors really understand. Try putting together a Registry set like I am - and you will see just how hard it is.

Because of this rarity, and how infrequently they come up for auction, there is no rule as to their value. Sometimes they will go for a small premium above the price guide, and sometimes they will sell for many multiples of the price guide. For example, my Capped Bust Half Dime in 64PL was bought for exactly price guide, whereas my Franklin was bought for over 6x price guide value.

glad I could be of some help Jason! Hope you or jimbucks, etc get that nice DPL coin!!!

Its not really of interest to me, but found it unusual and hopefully someone on the forum who collects this series may pursue a purchase of it. For me, I'm still on my PF-64 RB IHC acquisition lookout, but they are starting to run dry at my $300 buy price. My interest in classic generic gold is gathering steam.

Happy collecting.

Sometimes they will go for a small premium above the price guide, and sometimes they will sell for many multiples of the price guide. For example, my Capped Bust Half Dime in 64PL was bought for exactly price guide, whereas my Franklin was bought for over 6x price guide value.

Another reason for this is simply the number of people collecting the different series. The number of people collecting capped bust half dimes in super high grade is a tiny fraction of the number of collectors assembling Franklins in super high grade.

The Bust coins have a significant following, but "the bigger the better" seems to be a rule for collecting busties, who wants to have to squint at a H10c to determine if it is good for grade? Quarters are much rarer than the halves tough to get them in MS. If I had a coin like this I would look for an internet marketplace and TT provides that. HA would be a stronger bidding group, but then you have a three month average turnaround on payment.

I saw a terrific flashy Bust half on TT last night. Problem is unsold lots do not show up in searches the next day( down the memory hole) and they get recycled. That should pop up in an auction in a couple weeks. Many coins I know there is a market for on ebay I run without reserve. That way the true market will determine value.

glad I could be of some help Jason! Hope you or jimbucks, etc get that nice DPL coin!!!

And... the Seated quarter is mine :)

Nice pick up Jason, give us an update when you get it in hand. It looks like an amazing coin.

Nick

These forums are for helping members get coins and educating. I am on the lookout for PF-64 RB IHC and MS-62 $5 Indian golds and appreciate any help. Also 1914 $2.50 in MS-61 or MS-62 is of interest to me.

Thanks everyone.