• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome

11 posts in this topic

Thanks again. I am starting as a Silver Eagle collector. I am looking for any certified eagle in a lower grade until I get as full a collection as possible and then better the grade as I go. I'm happy I got the chance for my first coin a PF70 NGC Silver Eagle. It tickles me to no end. It's hard to talk to people who have no idea what collecting is all about.

So I'll just say

Whoooo hoooo. I love this hobby.

I can tell by your tone that you are a TRUE collector. You share that excitement and enthusiasm---good for you!! I wish you well in your endeavors and this is a GREAT place to learn, mingle and make good friends. Silver Eagles are AWESOME and it sounds like you have a good game plan. Welcome! Please feel free to ask any and all questions, as, myself, and many others will be glad to assist you.

Welcome to the neighborhood, Steven!

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but I'd like to throw out a few things you should consider.

1) When it comes right down to it, the SAE's are still bullion, so they tend to fluctuate in value more closely to the spot price of silver.

2) Since the inception of the SAE program in 1986, NGC alone, has graded 261,028 in PF70, PF70CAM & PF70UCAM. In the modern era, the US Mint has perfected the production of proof coins/bullion to the point that there is nothing really rare about 70's. With this in mind, if you can't tell the difference between a 70 and a 69, then you are much better off buying the 69's at a substantial savings.

3) You may have seen some of the inserts attributed as "Early Releases" (NGC) and/or "First Strike" (PCGS). These attributions have nothing whatsoever to do with the provenance associated with a coin or its rarity. It is just a marketing ploy dreamed up by some of the big mass merchandisers to enable them to sell them at inflated prices. Naturally, the grading services aren't going to turn these customers away because they have their "bottom line" to protect, and I can't fault them for that.

4) Finally, it would be to your benefit to temper your enthusiasm just a bit when it comes to buying. So often, we've read about newcomers who get so excited that they end up paying too much. There will always be (modern) coins available, so before you decide to pull the trigger, it would behoove you to come to a forum like this and ask questions, first.

The most important thing is to have fun and try to learn as much as you can about this wonderful hobby of ours.

Chris

The advice above from cpm9ball is solid. You can save a bundle by learning before you get too involved in buying. One of the best lessons in that process is to try to sell your stuff. I'd strongly recommend trying to sell a coin to understand what others are looking for. What they want should be what you want too (in most cases).

Welcome aboard! :hi:

Remember, the most important part of this hobby is to have Fun!!! :whee: ... and it looks like you are doing that. (thumbs u