• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin shows frustrate me

25 posts in this topic

So I have now been to 4 shows total, and the trend I have seen is that every table with nice coins has some dork in his 50s looking thru albums of circulated lincoln pennies, right on top of 18th century coins or peace dollars or anything I might be interested in, and hes there forever full on covering those displays with the penny albums and the dealer is giving him 100% of his attention as he does so. The Philly show wasnt so much like this because I went on the last day and it was pretty empty and It was easy to get dealer attention and coin views, but by then all the primo stuff was gone.

There must be a solution to this no? Maybe set up a little viewing area for these guys? Surely some dealers must also get frustrated by this?

I feel your pain. Even though it is only a 20 minute drive from me I stopped going to the Long Beach show a long time ago. I get annoyed when a dealer is too busy eating his sandwich than to attend to his table. However, perhaps I will gain more patience and give it another try (maybe I will have to bring sandwiches for the dealers!).

Take it all in stride. Knowing you have a pocketful of cash and will use it at your own discretion has its own comforts.

I would just politely ask to see some coins.

(thumbs u

But, if you still can't get his attention, then just say, "Maybe I'll come back later to look at your other coins when your cases aren't quite so cluttered." If he doesn't hear this, then he doesn't deserve your business.

Chris

I think I am just not good at coin shows since they are new to me. Maybe they will seem more normal after a few more. I also always feel bad looking and not seeing something I like. Like im wasting the guys time.

As for the collector covering the cases, just ask, I have always had them willing move aside.

I also always feel bad looking and not seeing something I like. Like im wasting the guys time.

They are used to it. Don't feel obligated. That's just how it works.

Me: Can I see such and such a coin.

Dealer: Sure, here you go.

Me: (On closer inspection not interested) OK, thank you. (handing it back).

That goes on dozens or more times per show. Don't feel bad. That's how it works.

As for the collector covering the cases, just ask, I have always had them willing move aside.

I also always feel bad looking and not seeing something I like. Like im wasting the guys time.

They are used to it. Don't feel obligated. That's just how it works.

Me: Can I see such and such a coin.

Dealer: Sure, here you go.

Me: (On closer inspection not interested) OK, thank you. (handing it back).

That goes on dozens or more times per show. Don't feel bad. That's how it works.

Exactly. While dealers are there to make a sale, most of them want you to be happy with the coin. If it doesn't fit your collection, or you don't like it - that's ok. They understand. At least you gave them the opportunity to show you something, and the possibility of a sale.

I just take note of the table and come back later. It's not up to me to tell a dealer how to run his table. Don't guess I'll ever tell someone they should not take time to eat. If I were a dealer, I would probably have a hard time putting up with some of the people that come to shows.

I've always had luck just politely asking someone if they minded if I get a look at what is under their folder/paper/etc. The one time I do not do this is if I see a dealer is busy with a large purchase/sale. My potential purchase from them is going to be far less important than the business they may get from me, so I have no problem letting the bigger fish get more attention.

I wonder how much early bird badges help in this scenario...getting acess to better material and having more face-to-face time with a popular dealer. I've never purchased a early bird badge, but my guess is that if you are a big enough player, it would probably pay for itself.

So I have now been to 4 shows total, and the trend I have seen is that every table with nice coins has some dork in his 50s looking thru albums of circulated lincoln pennies, right on top of 18th century coins or peace dollars or anything I might be interested in, and hes there forever full on covering those displays with the penny albums and the dealer is giving him 100% of his attention as he does so. The Philly show wasnt so much like this because I went on the last day and it was pretty empty and It was easy to get dealer attention and coin views, but by then all the primo stuff was gone.

There must be a solution to this no? Maybe set up a little viewing area for these guys? Surely some dealers must also get frustrated by this?

The solution is, "Excuse me but I would like to look through the albums underneath that one."

Where Dealers shoot themselves in the foot is where they are doing Dealer to Dealer transactions at shows long after that period of time for that activity has ended. It's unfair to the public to try to look around a plastic NGC box and a spread out Coin Dealers News sheet to see what's underneath.

Because the deal they are working on is usually far more important than any sale to the general public, the general public is an afterthought. That's kinda crappy treatment if you just drove 2 or 3 hours to get there on Saturday mid day. If you do get a chance to ask a question often times the Dealer is understanding but his "Guest" gets all pissy.

I find this the most frustrating thing about shows that should be covered in any sign up paperwork sent by the Bourse Chairman.

Where Dealers shoot themselves in the foot is where they are doing Dealer to Dealer transactions at shows long after that period of time for that activity has ended. It's unfair to the public to try to look around a plastic NGC box and a spread out Coin Dealers News sheet to see what's underneath.

Because the deal they are working on is usually far more important than any sale to the general public, the general public is an afterthought. That's kinda crappy treatment if you just drove 2 or 3 hours to get there on Saturday mid day. If you do get a chance to ask a question often times the Dealer is understanding but his "Guest" gets all pissy.

I find this the most frustrating thing about shows that should be covered in any sign up paperwork sent by the Bourse Chairman.

My guess is that often, the person who has their stuff spread out over the dealers case(s), is no more likely to do significant business than passersby, who aren't able to view the coins (without having to say "excuse me").

I feel your pain. Even though it is only a 20 minute drive from me I stopped going to the Long Beach show a long time ago. I get annoyed when a dealer is too busy eating his sandwich than to attend to his table.

You are only 20 minutes from one of the biggest coins shows in the country (3 times a year no less) and you stopped going because a few dealers were eating lunch?

OK then... meh

jom

I've always had luck just politely asking someone if they minded if I get a look at what is under their folder/paper/etc. The one time I do not do this is if I see a dealer is busy with a large purchase/sale. My potential purchase from them is going to be far less important than the business they may get from me, so I have no problem letting the bigger fish get more attention.

I wonder how much early bird badges help in this scenario...getting acess to better material and having more face-to-face time with a popular dealer. I've never purchased a early bird badge, but my guess is that if you are a big enough player, it would probably pay for itself.

Early bird badges only make sense if you are buying better material. I am talking about $1,000+ coins not $100+ pieces. Of late the amount of time get for the badge fee at some shows make it less worth the cost.

I hate it when you want to look at something that the other customer has and the customer is there with it for hours on end. i know i got to buy my time just like the next guy but just the same. ( there was one guy who did that and then said he wanted to go thru the box again to see if he had missed anything, grrrrrrrrrr )

I really enjoy coin shows, whether or not I end up buying coins, but the first few were a little bit uncomfortable, IIRC. I felt like I was going to an event where I did not know anyone and did not know the rules. Keep going, meet or make some friends (collectors and vendors), and you will view coin shows much differently.

Early bird badges only make sense if you are buying better material. I am talking about $1,000+ coins not $100+ pieces. Of late the amount of time get for the badge fee at some shows make it less worth the cost.

Plus quite a few of the dealers at EB's don't have their inventory out.

MJ

MJ

I have always wondered about the logic of "early bird" entry to a public show, when the obvious point of the show is to have as many public participants as possible.

Well, first of all, of course - EVERY table at ALL coin shows has some dork in his 50s sitting there looking at coins. That's just the way it is in the hobby.

Second, acquiring coins at coin shows is a bit competitive - if I get to a table first and get the coin you and I want, that's just your tough luck. You can't be a shrinking violet.

TomB and DirtyGoldMan have given you good advice - go to more shows and you'll feel more comfortable asking the other dorks to move over and let you see some coins. You'll also be able to determine which dealers will have what you want and you can concentrate on their tables.

If it's a big show, go check out some other tables until the table you want to look at clears a little. However, some dealers are just perennially popular and you need to either throw yourself into the scrum in front of their table or walk away.

Certainly, going as early as you can helps - if it's a multi-day show, go early on the first day; if it's a one-day show, go as early in the morning as you can.

and if that doesn't work, when you get there ask somebody if they saw the (coins of your choice) that a table across the way had real cheap because the dealer needed money for something else. Its not what you collect or you would have been all over it. that should clear out the table. say it loud enough for everybody to hear haha

MJ

When I was dealer and for most times when bought the early bird badge as a collector I did not miss those guys because quite often their prices were too strong for me.