• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rwb and others, is this fake or real? 1814 platinum cbh

38 posts in this topic

this coin is not an official pattern from the philadelphia mint, but it has been struck there.

today, only three of theese coins are known.

one was described by director ross snowden in the year 1861 (see p.117/18 "A description of ancient and modern coins: in the cabinet collection at the Mint of the United States" ) but he named the year 1815. maybe it was a mistake of him?

I also studied this coins.

in my oppinion, this coin is one of the patterns, struck by or in order of Justus Erich Bollmann. Bollman was born in germany an moved to philadelphia around the year 1797.

Here, he studied the "new" metal platinum. He also was interested in platinum as a currency around the world and he also shared his ideas at the congress of vienna (1814/15).

The word "platina" is engraved on this coin, not "platinum" as it was usual in england, and also in america, during his days.

"Platina" was used in germany until the 1820´s or so.

So this seems to be engraved by someone who must be of german descent.

so in fact, thees experimental pieces are genuine, of course.

another fact: silver was cheaper than platinum!!! worth platinum: gold: ca. 1:2,75 !!!

only for the spanish conquerers it was worthless first. it was good for nothing. later after 1750 it was described and investigated by alchemists and chemists. at the same time it was used to counterfeit spanish and spanish-american goldcoins because of its density, which was nearby the density of gold. after 1879, the price for platinum was high enough that it was no more interesting to fake goldcoins with this metal.

(sorry for my bad english, i am from austria)

greets thomas

Vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht und die zusätzlichen Informationen! Österreich hat einige schöne Gedenkmünzen produziert.

this coin is not an official pattern from the philadelphia mint, but it has been struck there.

today, only three of theese coins are known.

one was described by director ross snowden in the year 1861 (see p.117/18 "A description of ancient and modern coins: in the cabinet collection at the Mint of the United States" ) but he named the year 1815. maybe it was a mistake of him?

I also studied this coins.

in my oppinion, this coin is one of the patterns, struck by or in order of Justus Erich Bollmann. Bollman was born in germany an moved to philadelphia around the year 1797.

Here, he studied the "new" metal platinum. He also was interested in platinum as a currency around the world and he also shared his ideas at the congress of vienna (1814/15).

The word "platina" is engraved on this coin, not "platinum" as it was usual in england, and also in america, during his days.

"Platina" was used in germany until the 1820´s or so.

So this seems to be engraved by someone who must be of german descent.

so in fact, thees experimental pieces are genuine, of course.

another fact: silver was cheaper than platinum!!! worth platinum: gold: ca. 1:2,75 !!!

only for the spanish conquerers it was worthless first. it was good for nothing. later after 1750 it was described and investigated by alchemists and chemists. at the same time it was used to counterfeit spanish and spanish-american goldcoins because of its density, which was nearby the density of gold. after 1879, the price for platinum was high enough that it was no more interesting to fake goldcoins with this metal.

(sorry for my bad english, i am from austria)

greets thomas

I enjoyed your Post, and learned something.

Thank You.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht und die zusätzlichen Informationen! Österreich hat einige schöne Gedenkmünzen produziert.
Wow, didn't know I understood German so well.... I think I picked out Thanks and Information!! I rock! \m/

They had several sets of letter and digit punches for making medal dies.

Plus, it was that week's letter on Sesame Street....

:whistle:

I hope you, at least, chuckled, RWB. That one was right up your alley.... ;)