• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This 1916 slq looks like a fake

18 posts in this topic

:roflmao: Did you read the item description?! OW WOW WOW!

"my father used to work for the us mint and they only made a few of these and is excelent condition it comes in a over sized coin holder very very rare you see a 1916 standing liberty this big. i do not sell any fake coins on ebay i am well reviewed and have a 5 star rating."

I checked out the sellers previous FBs and I see what he is trying to do.

He planned this out. He sold some genuine coins, rec'd 100% Positive FB for those transactions and did everything correct. Once he did all that he purposely listed a key date counterfeit hoping that because of his "good feedback" some poor soul would bite and the seller would skate away.

JimBucks. Since you started this thread, how abouts you report the listing for us? :bump:

-Dave

So why would someone make an oversized fake coin? I'm not so sure it's a fake, seem's plausible to me it's a numismatic novelty that could be real. It looks to be made of bronze? Maybe something produced for a special occasion which would explain only a few hundred produced. I really hope someone has some info on these.

Nick

So why would someone make an oversized fake coin? I'm not so sure it's a fake, seem's plausible to me it's a numismatic novelty that could be real. It looks to be made of bronze? Maybe something produced for a special occasion which would explain only a few hundred produced. I really hope someone has some info on these.

Nick

It's a novelty item, alright, but not produced by the U.S. Mint.

I had strong doubts it was produced by the US mint, and also doubt it's worth what the seller is asking. But that doesn't mean it's not collectible or not worth anything and I don't feel the seller was representing it as an authentic '16 SLQ. I just wasn't ready to jump on the it's fake band wagon. It looks well made and interesting with some possible history tied to it.

Nick

I had strong doubts it was produced by the US mint, and also doubt it's worth what the seller is asking. But that doesn't mean it's not collectible or not worth anything and I don't feel the seller was representing it as an authentic '16 SLQ. I just wasn't ready to jump on the it's fake band wagon. It looks well made and interesting with some possible history tied to it.

Nick

Nick, the seller stated that his father worked at the Mint, so he clearly misrepresented the item. And though the listing has apparently been removed by Ebay, it did not look well made to me.

Here you go: $2.99

And here

Ha ha, thanks Mark. I just bought 5 and now I'm going to sell them for half that guys BIN price.

Nick

Best of luck, and be sure to tell people that your father (or, more realistically, great grandfather) worked at the Mint. :D

Ha ha, thanks Mark. I just bought 5 and now I'm going to sell them for half that guys BIN price.

Nick

Best of luck, and be sure to tell people that your father (or, more realistically, great grandfather) worked at the Mint. :D

:signfunny:

Lets see what that seller tries next!

:idea: I should list my 1997 Botanic Garden Silver Commemorative proof and say my great uncle was the Landscaper durring Grover Cleveland's presidency and he found it burried next to Martha Stuarts award winning roses. :applause: No really, Its true! How could I be lying?! I have 15 GOOD Feedbacks! :whee:

-Dave

Nick

:signfunny:

Lets see what that seller tries next!

:idea: I should list my 1997 Botanic Garden Silver Commemorative proof and say my great uncle was the Landscaper durring Grover Cleveland's presidency and he found it burried next to Martha Stuarts award winning roses. :applause: No really, Its true! How could I be lying?! I have 15 GOOD Feedbacks! :whee:

-Dave

honest, he wouldnt lie to you :wishluck: