• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is with the new "members" who are advertising?

23 posts in this topic

Over the past week or so, I've seen posts from "members" who "just got here" that have zero to do with numismatics. Are people REALLY joining the Boards JUST to post SPAM??

There is one current thread advertising NFL jerseys. and another one last week advertising a money making scheme.

I doubt these people join to discuss any topic related to the Collectors Society boards. I don't know what the reasons are for these people to join and if they do just to advertise garbage chinese made t-shirts, that is pathetic.

I am sure I'm not the only one noticing these posts and I want to know if anyone else is annoyed by it.

-Dave

There really are people out there who want to get paid but don't want to work. So, they get these crummy jobs from employers who don't care about turnover and don't have any overhead. All they do is sit on their but-tocks (ala Forrest Gump) all day and peck away at a keyboard......present company excluded, Roger!

Chris

I own a website similar to this which is interactive (allowing members to post information) but on a different subject. Each day I get at least 1 and up to 20 spammers hawking all kinds of unrelated items. As I understand it there are companies who pay these parasites good money to "place" their ads. I have to notify my actual members from time to time never to click any links.

More often than not the offenders work overnight and are a half a world away. I love my banhammer.

and my phone at home is the same way,like maggots.The no call list is useless.

Go to a marine supply store and buy an air horn. That's what I used on them for about 10 years. At least you'll put some of them out of commission for a while.

Chris

Go to a marine supply store and buy an air horn. That's what I used on them for about 10 years. At least you'll put some of them out of commission for a while.

Chris

:o:signfunny::insane:

• Administrator

They are bots. Programs written to find message boards, sign up, and post spam in an automated way. The pay off in terms of actual traffic is low, but so is the investment. And in the meantime, even if no one clicks on the spam, Google will see it as a "link" into a web site, and treat it as a signal that the linked web site is more relevant in the world. The nonsense text you see in the posts is as much to fool Google into thinking it is a real conversation as it is for the human reader.

PLEASE Don't get me started on the Do not call list!!

I signed up for it two years ago and never had any really issues with telemarketers.

Earlier this year I purchased new magazine subscriptions from a decent website. Out of nowhere I was getting call after call for BS from the "my nam' iz rickmon patel" people trying to sell me more magazines BUT with a BONUS sports watch.

Same thing happened in june when a website I belong to got hacked. I would get around 40 spam calls each day. Some of the numbers came up as just "5" or "1-001" but we all know how they have fake # generators now.

I had to change my phone # and I've had that # for over 7 years. I spent the rest of the day calling people to let them know I have a new cell phone #.

Is it still safe to step outside?

-Dave

I signed up for it two years ago and never had any really issues with telemarketers.

Earlier this year I purchased new magazine subscriptions from a decent website. Out of nowhere I was getting call after call for BS from the "my nam' iz rickmon patel" people trying to sell me more magazines BUT with a BONUS sports watch.

Same thing happened in june when a website I belong to got hacked. I would get around 40 spam calls each day. Some of the numbers came up as just "5" or "1-001" but we all know how they have fake # generators now.

I had to change my phone # and I've had that # for over 7 years. I spent the rest of the day calling people to let them know I have a new cell phone #.

-Dave

My solution for telemarketers is to answer, when they say who they are, say hold on a minute, put phone down and go about your business, how long do you think they will wait for you to come back?

-Dave

My solution for telemarketers is to answer, when they say who they are, say hold on a minute, put phone down and go about your business, how long do you think they will wait for you to come back?

If they are like my wife, a verrrrrry long time. That woman is a bulldog when a friend tells her to wait a minute, during a phone conversation. She will hang on longer than King Kong on the ESB.

These are spam-bots. They are not real people and will add nothing to the site. When seen, simply hit the notify moderator button and they go away pretty quickly.

lol... Boy you got that right, and well said...The bums!

I actually had excellent results signing up with the do-not-call list.

I did too,in Texas,maybe in Florida they like them alive ;)

-Dave

If they are like my wife, a verrrrrry long time. That woman is a bulldog when a friend tells her to wait a minute, during a phone conversation. She will hang on longer than King Kong on the ESB.

Then after about a half hour ask if still there and say, hold on another minute

-Dave

lol that soulds like a good idea. here is what I would do when I was in Highschool and prankcalls got boring and childish (how many calls can you make with the is your 'fridge' running? joke anyway.)

When the telemarketer asks for an adult or someone over 18 I tell them that both my parents have been gone for almost 3 weeks. They got kidnapped and ... (I'd start to fake crying now)I'm scared, I'm hungry and I am running out of food, I don't know what to do!...the telemarketer would get concerned and ask if I want the to call the police. I would say no! don't do that! the "bad men" will want more money, and I don't have any more money!..Buttttt, what you could do is send me $5,000 so I can get my parents back. ..if they say they can't do that, I yell FINE, THEY WERE BAD PARENTS ANYWAY TO! I HOPE YOUR HAPPY!..then I would hang up.

Ofcourse I was joking....I never got a call from that telemarketing group again.

Dave=1, Ninja Knife Set lady = 0. ^^

-Dave