• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT A DOLLAR WOULD BUY.... posted by Wissahickon Collection

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Back In The 1950's.

Last night, I had another of those WAKE UP WITH A MEMORY OF THE PAST moments. When I was a kid, my parents couldn't afford many luxuries. So Mom and Dad made a big deal out oflittle extras so that they became special.

One such SPECIAL was sirloin steak with button mushrooms on Sundays. Mom was great at making creative inexpensive meals all week, so steak it was on Sunday!

With the drippings, she made a light gravy that I loved. I have no idea what was in it, except for butter, but we would put slices of white bread into the pan to soak up the gravy. Dad and I would race to see who could get his bread in the pan for the last drop- sometimes, he LET me win.

I don't remember much else about Sunday dinner other than the fact that the steak was always accompanied by mashed potatoes, and loths of love and fun!

This memory spurred me to to pull out my copy of Norman M. Davis' 1971 book, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF UNITED STATES COIN COLLECTING. He traces an interesting, but unremarkable discussion of introduction to collecting; grading; coin investing; and a cursory review of each denomination.

The interesting "hook" to his book for me is that he details for the various denominations what it could purchase at the time of issue. For example, regarding the Seated Liberty Dollar, he writes: "If your horse lost a shoe as you rode through Clarksville, Tenn. in 1843, you would probably visit blacksmith R. C. Beauchamp, who would charge one dollar for a complete shoeing job."

As I read this, the thought hit me- I wonder what that Sunday dinner cost in the mid to late 1950's. Whatever the cost, it was a MILLION DOLLAR MEAL in happy memories!

See more journals by Wissahickon Collection

Had to look this up, mkman123 got me curious, so $1 of 2012 dollars would be worth $0.12 in 1955, I guess you could get a bottle ( or 2 ) of Coke with this ???

coke was a nickel in 1955 went up to 6 cents in 58 then later that year a dime. I swore I would never buy another coke,

wheat