• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valuing an 1879 CC GSA Hoard NGC Star

24 posts in this topic

I just got back my recent submission from NGC and my 1879 CC GSA Hoard Top 100 Vam 3 Capped CC came back an impressive MS 64*. I'm having a little trouble finding the value of the coin due to the Capped CC variety and the Star designation. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Pictures are attached on the second page.

VAM 3 doesn't add any value, as that's the most common variety of 1879-CC. Looking at Heritage, Plain Jane 79-CCs in 64 go for $8000-9000. The few GSA coins that sold within the past 2 years seem to carry a premium, going for $8100-10350. Add the star and attractive rainbow toning (not just a band of tan toning with some non-tan specks), and there are no coins in their archive suitable for comparison. If it's really attractive toning, then $12500-15000 would seem to be a starting point. Who knows, maybe even more since anyone who wants a nice, toned 79-CC in a GSA holder will apparently have to attempt to buy your coin. There's no fixed toning premium, especially on coins that don't show up often, and you really can't scale the premium from lower-value coins. A green sticker would help its cause, too. Post some good pictures if you can (or have some taken ;) ).

With toned coins it is very hard to find a comparison since toning and luster will be different and so much of toned pricing can be due to one or two bidders personal opinion of the coin. This is already a pricey coin so the toning may add value but not huge amounts.

PM me if you need help getting the images up.

1879 CC TOP-100 S$1 VAM-3 GSA HOARD

MS 64

$21,560.00 Unchanged

Without Star :)

I saw this, too, but didn't want to post it, until I knew that it was the SAME type of coin, as the OP's, and ALSO I wanted to look at auction archives results for better accuracy.

Messy Desk stated in his post that a GSA type only sells for around 10 or 11K (not 20K +)---I am not sure, as I didn't look it up, but I will take him at his word.

Not sure how accurate the price guide is, either, as it is often inflated with respect to actual market valued results. The star should, definitely, add at least a couple of grand, though, and maybe even more to a real die hard collector, as I feel that the STAR 1879 CC GSA are very FEW. I also agree that is must have SIGNIFICANT and ATTRACTIVE color and not simply toned in a general sort of way before you can get a good premium for it.

Nothing personal, and I hope you do not take it that way, but NGC totally baffles me with the star designation. Your coin has a star and great for you. I have seen others and own others that are more eye appealing color wise and do not have it. It makes no rhime or reason to their thinking and awarding. I know this sounds like sour grapers but I could post a few and let others explain it to me.

i will not post a picture to this thread , so as not to hi jack it. thats why i waited until I thought this thread had died down to post. Check out my registry GSa set "rainbow Stars' I have a 90-cc with the same toning, no star and two 79-cc's no star and one of those has toning like a 80-s so says the photographer, Todd

NGC gives a lot of rainbows that extra star so kudos on your grading. The GSA 1879 VAM-3 Capped CC IS listed in the NGC Coin Price Guide.

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/NumismediaPricing.aspx?SubCatID=49&Designation=MS&PopSubCat=Morgan-Dollars

64 is 10,810. In the real world it would probably go for 8 or 9K.

Should the rainbow effect enhance over the years that would add more value to the coin. :kidaround:

A 1879 CC in MS 64 is a coin I would be proud to own. No disrespect, but in my opinion your coin has an average strike and the toning as shown does not justify a star designation.

Thank you for your comment and a few in your set look like they could also deserve stars. I was actually quite surprised myself when the coin came back a star. Supposedly a decent amount of toned coins recieve the star designation as long as theres no trace of black. Perhaps they gave this coin the star grade becasue there are very few 1879 CC's toned from the hoard. I've had a hard time finding any similar to compare it to. Feel free to post any pictures. I'd like to see what others think of NGC and their star designation. Almost seems like science.

I will admit I'm not a toned coin fan. I will say NGC gave the coin a star. You just submitted it. Stars are awarded for eye appeal as far as I know. If she was a bright white star I'd be offering strong $$ for her ;) I congratulate you on a tuff coin in 64 grade! Peace, Tim :)

Toneddollars, let blue6vette take professional pictures of that coin and the toning might be even more impressive.

Todd did take those pictures, and he is the one who commented on the color

The images I posted to the thread was from the OP, not toned dollars ad is not my images. Toneddollars showed me a couple GSA's at the Philly ANA. I was looking through the group and saw a 79 with color, I assumed it was a 79-S. Same with the next coin. Then I realized they were 79-CC's. Later when I saw Toneddollars I used language not appropriate here to let him know how amazed I was.

His should have stars based on a) the color b) the year and MM, and c) them being in the GSA holders still.