• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deceptive Fake Trade Dollar

14 posts in this topic

This must be an example of what David Lange was warning about now coming out of China:

ebay trade dollar

Note the sharp details in low relief and the lack of some fine details (such as all cord threads on the bale). The 5 in the date is off - probably was punched in seperate from the other three digits.

I'd like to expand on what EVP is talking about regarding the berries [the seller's other auction, a 76-S, is fake for sure - look for yourself].

The type I reverse, with the berry under the eagle's claw, has a couple of flat oblong berries on the olive branch. The type II reverse, without the berry under the eagle's claw, has a couple of round blobby berries on the olive branch. These coins both have the wrong type of berries to go with the berry under the eagle's claw. FAKES! I've emailed the seller, let's see if he's a scam artist or will pull the auctions.

I'd thought the one with no feedback was bidding just to bust him, too. One of the guys on the other board was really good at creating new ID's and bidding on bogus auctions just to retract at the last minute or win and explain to the seller why he wasn't getting paid. First he made sure the coin was fake and then emailed the seller hoping for a cancellation.

Public service.