• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OH NOES......the collecting bug is back!

10 posts in this topic

Most of my year-long absence from here has been due to the fact that I lost interest in collecting coins. Prices were skyrocketing, tempers were flaring, politics were being played. I didn't want to deal with it, so I vanished.

Last week, I discovered that one of my coworkers was a coin collector, working on a commem set. I was working on them when I disappeared, but never sold mine, so I brought them into work for him to look at. Just like that...BAM! The bug is back! Sometimes all it takes is sharing what you have with somebody who appreciates it.

So now I'm sitting here staring at a newly acquired Long Island, ready to hop into the game.

There's a moral to this story, although I don't know what it is. Perhaps its you should focus less on the business end of the hobby and more on the enjoyment factor of the hobby. Unless you're a dealer of course.

MastaHanky,

It's good to hear that your interest in coins has been rekindled. I collect commems also, and wish you luck in your pursuit of these wonderful coins. thumbsup2.gif

John

congrats .. Welcome back.. I also agree people should not really worry about the business side and enjoy the hobby more.

MastaHanky - Welcome back! It can take the smallest thing, then it all comes ruching back! smile.gif

Like you, I have a co-worker who collects, but only due to my corruptions. devil.gif He and I work a thousand miles apart, but he knew of my interests and I knew that he collected everything else on Earth - including sand! (I brought him some sand from the flanks of Mt. Arenal in Costa Rica this last March and he was elated!) Anyhow, he's slowly gotten into it and is now ordering coin albums right and left for his growing collection of circulated 20th century stuff! laugh.gif I just handed off to him (at a meeting in Las Vegas) a 80% complete set of circulated Jefferson nickels 1938-69. He simply can't get enough! It's great to share in this hobby. flowerred.gif

Hoot

That`s cool. We never really talked much here or across the street but, glad you`re back in the hobby. I use to follow the political bs across the street and noticed too that the more I followed, the more I was drifting away of why I`m collecting in the first place. I was beginning to really dislike the hobby because that isn`t where I was coming from.

I guess I was lucky in a sense that I collected as a kid before I was aware of any politics and third party grading didn`t really exsist ( I collected in the late 1970`s and early 1980`s ). I collected what appealed to me or what I thought was " neat " and what was in my budget. I still try to focus collecting from that point of view.

Maybe walking away for a breathe of fresh air is what you needed. laugh.gif

I just returned as well so I know the feeling completely. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Unfortunately I sold off my collection to fund other hobby pursuits foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Nothing like starting from scratch, but at least I have years worth of knowledge under my belt so I will make some smarter choices this time around.

Talk about prices skyrocketing......I priced the keys I sold and was shocked at how much they've gone up in the past couple of years 893censored-thumb.gif