• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reach of the government regarding coin confiscation

14 posts in this topic

I was wondering if a coin that the government could confiscate in the US were in a foreign country and owned/in possession by a citizen of that country could the US government confiscate it? For instance a 1964-D peace dollar or a 1933 double eagle.

In general, no. FYI, in 1933 gold held by US citizens in other countries was exempt unless it was exported within the previous year.

So does this mean the series 691 and 701 MPC's that were illegally removed from the govt need to be confiscated as well? You can buy them all day long and they were never "legally" removed from the inventory.

But if its here, they don't even need a warrant anymore. just come in slam you to the ground and arrest you.

Does an officer need a warrant to arrest you when he sees you rob a bank?

Just playing devil's advocate.

As "citizens of the world" the present administration has shown a lot of sympathy for enforcing the laws of other countries within The United States when that law is not part of our domestic statutes. A recent book by Senator Rand Paul cites examples of how many laws are not made by Congress any more. They are made and enforced by bureaucracies here with no import from the courts unless the accused brings suit. We are headed toward a police state in this country, but my citizens are too dumb to note where we are headed.

But if its here, they don't even need a warrant anymore. just come in slam you to the ground and arrest you.

That falls under probable cause. So the answer is no. But explain how a citizen can put a quote on Facebook from a rap song," about sharpening his hatchet" somebody complains to Facebook, they report it, Feds visit him ask to search his place, he asks if they have a warrant, they say no, throw him down, cuff him, have him put in a mental hospital for 30 days without being charged with anything. Finally after a week a judge lets him go. Any ideas?

That falls under probable cause. So the answer is no. But explain how a citizen can put a quote on Facebook from a rap song," about sharpening his hatchet" somebody complains to Facebook, they report it, Feds visit him ask to search his place, he asks if they have a warrant, they say no, throw him down, cuff him, have him put in a mental hospital for 30 days without being charged with anything. Finally after a week a judge lets him go. Any ideas?

I'm sure half of the story is missing here.

I agree with you.

But specifically, I think the practical answer is that whether the answer is yes or no, the coin would not be very marketable and could only be sold at a substantial discount to another US buyer or US expat who would be willing to either smuggle it into the US or hold it outside the country.

The one thing I can almost assure everyone here with certainty is that the chances of a foreign collector buying such a coin given how much it would cost would be almost zero. Even at a substantial discount to a US price, it would be exorbitantly expensive compared to most of the best coins from other countries.

So does this mean the series 691 and 701 MPC's that were illegally removed from the govt need to be confiscated as well? You can buy them all day long and they were never "legally" removed from the inventory.

If the government decided tomorrow to crack down and confiscate them as stolen government property they could. The 1933 double eagles were openly traded and even advertised for sale for years before the government suddenly decided they were illegal and confiscated them.

I'm sure half of the story is missing here. [/quote

Yeah you are right, I forgot to add, he is a former Marine

http://www.examiner.com/article/marine-arrested-for-facebook-posts-ordered-to-be-released-by-circuit-court-judge