• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storage

13 posts in this topic

Under a matress sitting outside the space station where no O2 or moisture can cause degreidation..... micro metors might be an issue however.....As a bonus, there also wouldn't be any cats to contend with.

I keep my coins in a 300lb fire proof safe. To keep mosture to a minimum a use either Silica packets that I get when I buy sneakers, or something similar that I think Home Depot sells. Dehumid something.

I live in FL, and I try to keep my house room temp around 70 degrees. I don't like humidity so the drier the air the better (for me and coins I guess because I have yet to notice any issues due to tempature or mosture.)

-Dave

Best to place your entire collection in a bank safety deposit box. Include in the box a couple of the large humidity attractant bags. The bags need to be renewed by placing them in a hot oven occasionally.

I keep my coins in a 300lb fire proof safe. To keep mosture to a minimum a use either Silica packets that I get when I buy sneakers, or something similar that I think Home Depot sells. Dehumid something.

I live in FL, and I try to keep my house room temp around 70 degrees. I don't like humidity so the drier the air the better (for me and coins I guess because I have yet to notice any issues due to tempature or mosture.)

-Dave

Dave-

Does your safe have a strong petroleum odor due to the fire retardant chemicals?

I have been told that those chemicals could harm coins.

How do you feel about this? Is it true? Thanks.

WF

Isn't there a product called 'metal safe' as well? I have heard about this in the 'Coin Collector's Survival Manual.' Is this good to keep in a safe deposit box along with silica gel?

Currently, I just use a lot of silica gel!

Respectfully,

'mint'

I'd be interested in hearing how some of you store your coins.

I have some in a safe which is in my home.....there isn't a moisture problem or severe heat problem or anything like that. I air the safe out every few months. I probably should get some new silica gel packs or something like that.

Unless you keep coins in a basement or something, or live in a part of the country where extreme heat/moisture is part of the air in one's home, I would think that most coins are going to be OK in a shoebox, slabbed or not.

Thoughts ?