• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1795 Draped Bust Dollar

15 posts in this topic

Are you sure it is genuine? (shrug)

I'm not familiar at all with these, but it just looks "funny" to my eye. I hope for your sake it's 100% real, because it seems to be in pretty good condition for its age.

I am not going to authenticate the coin – I will let someone else do it.

The coin has been harshly cleaned. Details wise it is a VF .

If the coin is genuine it is still worth decent money .

I think that the coin is genuine, but it has been very harshly cleaned. The piece has VF-35 sharpness. it's a shame than an insufficiently_thoughtful_person :insane: got their fingers on this piece. No matter how ugly the toning might have been, it was better than this.

I don't have an example of the exact variety as this piece (Bust off-center to the left), but here is a genuine 1795 Draped Bust silver dollar.

1795DrBustDolO.jpg

1795DrBustDolR.jpg

don't know anything at all about them or how in the world you can look at and determine fake or not, but the eye and mouth do not look the same at all. I guess maybe different sets of dies? one eye looks bigger and kinda like crazyeye from adam sandler movies, the mouth on one looks pursed and on the other almost a smile. JMHO

Bill I don’t find your example to be ugly at all, why would you use that example as ugly toning ? My guess is the Bust in question here was caked with black junk and some numb nut thought they could improve the coin. Maybe it looked worse before the clearing !! ;)

Bill I don’t find your example to be ugly at all, why would you use that example as ugly toning ? My guess is the Bust in question here was caked with black junk and some numb nut thought they could improve the coin. Maybe it looked worse before the clearing !! ;)

I don't think I called my coin ugly. It is just not original which seems to mean a lot to some collectors these days. I rather like it especially when I look at the price paid.

I purchased the attached Bust dollar a few years ago at the ANA Boston show.

I was able to view the coin in hand before I made my bid. It was not CAC certified when I purchased it. This is the look I love - its original and looks fantastic in hand.

129910.jpg.4175bf80f8b954116516877e32112fd6.jpg