• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carson City Morgans

10 posts in this topic

Grading Carson City GSA Hoard Morgans

Over the last few months I have been trying to add to my registry set for One-per-Date MSDs. I focused on the CC GSA Hoards. I endded up getting the 1878, 1880, 1882, 1884, 1885 GSAs and a 1900 O/CC, PCGS-certified (see image attached).

Today I sent the GSAs in for grading and variety designation. The 1884 is supposed to be a VAM 7 and the 1878 may be a VAM 2. The 1885 looks real good and I think will go at least 64. That would be nice. The others I hope to get at least 62. When I get them back, I'll post the results and some photos.

12088.jpg

See more journals by JoeFerentz

One problem with your variety designations, NGC does not recognize the VAM 7 for 1884. They do recognize the VAM 2 for the 1878. They have a list of VAMs under the the Variety Designation. I ran into this problem myself. I was sure some of mine were VAMs, however, they were not VAMs that NGC designates. Good luck with your submission on the other areas though.

I love Morgans and Carson City GSA's in general. Take your time and put together a real good set and you will be happy in years to come!

As was stated earlier, make sure you keep your GSA dollars in the OGP as they are worth significantly more both in monetary value and in registry point value. Make sure all your GSA's have the proper COA's as well as those little cards can be worth money as well!

I "restarted" my set a number of times because I wanted higher grade coins than I had. I wish I would have set my sights higher from the start and added less coins during the same amount of time. It would have saved me grief and money!

I think you will also find many of the Society Members will be more than willing to give you good advice on collecting this set. I know they have helped me!

Best of luck to you on your quest!

Joe, I had someone offer me some CCs last week that were nice grades. Like mkman123 said----be sure and get the GSAs graded at NGC to hold onto the history and value. The morgans are a promise of fun and enjoyment with the amount of coins needed, and a beauty once you go above MS65 to the "Classy Ladies".

Later---Rick

One problem with your variety designations, NGC does not recognize the VAM 7 for 1884. They do recognize the VAM 2 for the 1878. They have a list of VAMs under the the Variety Designation. I ran into this problem myself. I was sure some of mine were VAMs, however, they were not VAMs that NGC designates. Good luck with your submission on the other areas though.

I did not realize that. I guess I wasted $12 then. I'll have to watch that in the future.

As was stated earlier, make sure you keep your GSA dollars in the OGP as they are worth significantly more both in monetary value and in registry point value. Make sure all your GSA's have the proper COA's as well as those little cards can be worth money as well!

I was hoping that would be the case. All are GSA with boxes and COA. Of course, who knows if the boxes and COAs are original; at least the cert numbers match the coin year.

My GSA CC Morgans came back from NGC the other day...

All came back MS63 except for the 1878 which was graded at MS62. No VAMs.

Recently acquired the 1881 CC.

7 down, 8 to go.