• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The oddest places coins turn up...

12 posts in this topic

A rarity in the Roosevelt variety series.

Ever since I had a top pop MS 66 FS-802 (VP-002) dime variety graded, I was envious over anyone that would have a FT example of this coin.

1970 - D

DDR FS-802 VP-002 variety

NGC Grade - MS 65 FT

Purchase Price - $99.99 delivered.

This is a very nice lusterous example with an MS 66 obverse but a somewhat marked up reverse that pulls the grade down to MS 65. The FT designation is marginal by my standard and what I might would lable a 7/8 torch. It's weak to the left and right of the lower bands, but does basically make the grade.

The DDR 1970-D isn't particularly rare, as I've found half a dozen examples this year alone, but the average grades are MS 63-64 with no torch, in fact 50% of them don't have any separation of the lower bands. This example is well above the norm and to be couple with the DDR is all the more rare.

I stumbled upon this coin last week on Ebay by accident. I've been contemplating starting a set that would be all 1970 coins (birth year) from all over the world. The idea would be to find as many denominations, compositions and themes as possible. So, I type in a recent search for me on Ebay "NGC 1970" and hit search. The results come back and I switch over to "newly listed" to see what's been added. The top coin in the search came back with this description -1970 Dime D DDR 10C VP-002 MS 65 FT NGC Graded Collectors Coin Coins. The FT part caught my attention immediately! I went to the NGC website and checked the cert - it checked out - and then went to the pop report knowing it was rare, but not realizing it is the only FT in the population for any of the DDR 1970-D's...

Now the story - the seller claims to have found it in the pocket of a jacket from a swap meet. What the heck? How could this coin have ended with that fate?!? I look at the seller's other listing and guess what it's all clothes. I think the story is true. The slab is in great shape, meaning the owner took care of it, as the slab is the last generation, so it's probably at least 18 months old. So how could it have ended up with the fate that it did. I knew immediately that I had to "rescue" this coin. I guess I've just invented a new type of "rescue" - perhaps I'll have to put together a television commercial about adopting abused, forgotten and neglected slabs!!!

This coin now becomes a very welcome addition to my Roosevelt's with Varieties set with a score of 974 points and the only one certified in FT. MAkes me a happy camper!!

12057.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Todd,

In my previous life as a Historian while giving lectures on Genealogy and finding lost family treasures, I used to tell the story of how people would "hide" things from immediate family members in the most unusual places: air vents, books, inside metal curtain blinds and, in this case, clothes in closets.

I advise people to always check all pockets, books and what-nots for these hidden family treasures before donating or having a yard sale.

In my current life, as a coin collector and being paranoyd, when I first started I hid me slabed coins in the same manner throughout my house, to prevent robbers from getting all of my coins. Now I have two really heavy safes hidden in different places in my house.

Maybe one of these two seneriors was how your slabbed coin was placed in the pocket and then "forgotten."

By the way, great find and coin

Jack

Todd,

What a great little anecdote you can pass on to the family about this coin. What a great find, especially a Roosevelt buff.

Congratulations!

Michael

Todd--- If he sold you the coat that is fine as I don't need it anymore BUT I WANT MY COIN BACK!!!! HeHe

I thought that last night after I wrote this journal. I input the serial number and received the dreaded - "coin is owned by another member"...

Todd,

In my previous life as a Historian while giving lectures on Genealogy and finding lost family treasures, I used to tell the story of how people would "hide" things from immediate family members in the most unusual places: air vents, books, inside metal curtain blinds and, in this case, clothes in closets.

I advise people to always check all pockets, books and what-nots for these hidden family treasures before donating or having a yard sale.

In my current life, as a coin collector and being paranoyd, when I first started I hid me slabed coins in the same manner throughout my house, to prevent robbers from getting all of my coins. Now I have two really heavy safes hidden in different places in my house.

Maybe one of these two seneriors was how your slabbed coin was placed in the pocket and then "forgotten."

By the way, great find and coin

Jack

Jack -

Never thought about it from that perspective, although I should have given an article in the John Reich Journal recently about a collector that had passed away and hidden many rare top grade coins in much the same way you surmised could have happened.

Thanks for the response.

Todd

Todd--- If he sold you the coat that is fine as I don't need it anymore BUT I WANT MY COIN BACK!!!! HeHe

I thought that last night after I wrote this journal. I input the serial number and received the dreaded - "coin is owned by another member"...

Knowing it is already registered to someone else, you should be trying to get into contact with the "REGISTER"ed owner to let them know you have their coin. Tell them the story of how you came to possess it, and see if the owner wants it back or not. If they want it back, they can either reimburse your costs, or, if it was some type of criminal activity which seperated the owner from his prize, you and the person who sold it to you should get involved with authorities to try and sort it all out. This is one of the reasons to have a "REGISTRY". Good luck.

Knowing it is already registered to someone else, you should be trying to get into contact with the "REGISTER"ed owner to let them know you have their coin. Tell them the story of how you came to possess it, and see if the owner wants it back or not. If they want it back, they can either reimburse your costs, or, if it was some type of criminal activity which seperated the owner from his prize, you and the person who sold it to you should get involved with authorities to try and sort it all out. This is one of the reasons to have a "REGISTRY". Good luck.

Agreed. NGC is already working on this issue. I find they are absolutely wonderful people to work with any and all problems.

You are doing the right thing and that is very commendable, and sometimes hard. A lot of people would not have. So Rick, it looks like you might get your coin back,

That's just too funny! Thanks!! :roflmao: