• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1949-S reverse posted by Six Mile Rick

12 posts in this topic

Thanks Hunter, Did you get those storage boxes??

The black build up on the upper rim is what I believe kept this coin from a star. If I sent it to NCS then I would have lost the toning and both sides are swell looking. With options weighed I am better off without the star.

The obverse is in the previous journal.

Later---

That coin deserves a star. Unfortunately, it is not the first and will not be the last that gets snubbed.

I would agree - star material. I'm still somewhat confused over the whole star thing. I've seen coins with the designation and thought -What?! Others it's a no-brainer. The even complete tone on this coin would seem to make it a prime candidate. Too bad it was snubbed.

Rick..the inconsistent part about NGC's ruling with the star designation is this..........

--they won't give a coin a star designation if any of the toning is too dark ( dark brown to black) however many of the coins that they have starred in the past have continued to tone in their holders and hence....TADA....yes, there are dozens and dozens of coins with the NGC star* that are now dark brown or black.

Also, a star is given if only one side of a proof is cameo so you will see many frankies and older Washies with a cameo obverse and no contrast reverse get a star, again however, it would appear that a lot of these coins hold no special eye appeal. They simply use the star to differentiate a "half-cameo"...so again, inconsistency to the idea of the star being given for exceptional eye appeal.

Don't worry though, many, many collectors are astute enough to recognize the eye appeal of your 49-S, regardless of an extra ink blob by a laser jet printer on a paper label housed in a plastic casing....