• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dipping of coins

8 posts in this topic

Help needed on dipping

Hi guys, hope you can help with some dipping info.I would like your opinion on the dipping of coins,do you know of coins that has been graded after dipping,what is the best product and procedure to dip.

I have a lot of large crown size coins in good condition but they do have some dirt etc on them,should i dip them?

Thank you

See more journals by JCRILLER

My personal opinion - never clean your own coins.

Others on the site would disagree.

If you look back at this month's (August) previous journals you will find several journals on dipping your own coins.

Michael

I agree with vumc409.... Yes, it would be nice to say, "I cleaned my coins, myself" but then again, you could be saying, "I ruined all of my coins because I dipped them wrong."

IMHO, leave cleaning coins to the professionals. A few extra dollars spent, in the end, will give you years of enjoyment.

The previous posted journals that vumc409 mentioned will answer your question.

Best wishes

Jack

JMO on these things so take it what it's worth...

Many people question why some spend $30 to slab a coin whose value is under $100

Many wonder why to spend $30 to clean or conserve a coin that has <$100 value ( it may take 40,50 or 100 years for inflation to increase the value of many coins by $30)

If you want improved appearance for a matching album set or are constructing a display then dipping (NOT scrubbing, wiping or cleaning) by EZ Zest silver cleaning solution followed by a thorough rinse in cold water may be the least damaging to the natural surfaces of the coin.

I learned as a rule from others and experience that one should never dip proof coinage. The mirrored fields are not conducive to the alteration of the surfaces by chemical cleaning and often milk spots ( either immediately or in a few months) appear on the coin. Again, my opinion is that milk spots on proofs are extremely unattractive.