• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943S Nickel with a nice large die crack

11 posts in this topic

Still a bit dark, but great saturation and details. thumbsup2.gif Great looking coin RWW! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot

Very nice coin RWW! I think I see two DCs on yours though. The major one runs from the T in STATES thru the V in CENTS and on up. The second and shorter one, looks to run thru the E of STATES up into the C in CENTS and ends.

I have a DC on a 40-S reverse that runs from 6 to 12 o'clock. It starts between the S and O of STATES OF, thru the vertical portion of the E in CENTS, thru the C in MONTICELLO, then straight up the 3rd pillar and right side of the dome ending in the left portion of the S in PLURIBUS. Not as visible as your specimen or I would post a pic. I also have a 44-P with a DC that starts on the rim just above Jeffs head and spikes his hair and ends in the forehead. And a true $ DC on a 44-S.

And, of course, they are all FS. Only way to go, right Leo? wink.gif

David

Nice coin RWW, and great photo! I'm having a hard time getting

consistently good shots, especially with toned coins.

Ken

P.S. "And a true $ DC on a 44-S"

Like this one? smile.gif

1944Srevcrack.jpg

Ken, here is my 44-S $. According to Jason (jtwax, FSNC, and his extensive knowledge of Jeff varieties), this is what is considered (I think) a true $ die crack for this date/mm. I qualify my statement because in paraphrasing a quote I remember reading about this variety, ...the die crack must run directly thru the S to qualify. So not completely sure even mine meets this criteria.

542257-dc.jpg

You know, most of the time, when people post a picture of their crack, I don't have any desire to look. But you got me this time. And what a fine crack you have! I'd ask to feel it, but I wouldn't want to get fingerprints on it. Still, very impressive!