• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A hopefully fun and challenging "guess the grade" for a coin I recently sold ...

51 posts in this topic

Proof 65 Star for color. Looks like an NGC holder, don't think I've ever seen an ANACS old holder in your offerings. Obverse looks MS, but that reverse has Proof written all over it!

With the irregular spaced date and the second 's' in states being filled in, I would guess this to be a PF63. If not a proof then MS63. Nice matching color on both the obverse and reverse, regardless.

Jim

I take a stab at MS64 in a old NGC no line soap bar holder.

If you have a second guessing on this H10C who the buyer might have been...

I think I could come pretty close on that one too! ;):D

I'm still sticking with that it's a Business Strike Mint State as the planchet isn't polished enough for a Proof issue.

These Seated H10C in proof were struck in a mintage of around 500 or less and the same die pair was then used for business strikes.

The sharpness and wire rims do not instantly make it a proof as only difference for a business strike was less planchet preparation.

I'm still torn between Proof and MS. The rims are so darn sharp, but yea I know the low mintages, and why throw away the dies? So it is quite possible it's just a PL MS, but I'll stick with my Proof... I would hate to ruin my perfect record of not getting any of these right! lol

Wow, I love how seated half dimes tone like that, I've got a pair myself. The color makes it so difficult without coin in hand. I'd say MS65 but it could be an AU58 too, if the color is hiding some light rub on the obverse.

PR64. I think a business strike would have some strike weakness somewhere, especially the wreath, and this one is hammered. The differences between PR64 and PR67 won't be visible with those pictures, so I'm going to assume you cherrypicked for grade and bought it as a nice PR64.

These are some really intertesting answers .

Most seem to agree on the 65 to 66 , albiet this is not inhand and photos are hard to grade from.

If this coin is raw then would you be prepared to pay 65/66 money for it ?

Secondly because it is already in plastic would you be prepared to pay the 65/66 money for it ?

What if it's au58 would you still pay 65/66 for it or is the number on the plastic a driver of price ?

Thnaks Martin .

I can't tell it's a proof but the coin is sitting funny in the holder (similar to a Bust Dime I recently sold to Mark) so the photo is probably skewed....so it might actually be a proof.

I can't tell if there is rub...actually it doesn't look like there is.

I don't see any marks.

Strike looks good.

As to the grade: I don't.....know. (shrug)

jom