• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How I got started in coin collecting!!!! by Panda Man

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Holy Cow!!!!

One afternoon my father in law said to me, "lets both take $250 dollars and buy some coins to sell on E-bay". I said sure, so we listed all our coins and took what profit we made and reivested and did the same thing several more times. Within six months we both had $2,000 dollars in our paypal accounts. That was 3 years ago and also the last time we bought and sold coins on E-bay for the most part. I have been collecting ever since and I might add am quite addicted. I have also encountered a whole new world of things to do and places to go; And a whole new way to spend more and more money, well within reason, just ask my wife (laughing to self).

Needless to say I have my father in law, (aka Dutch) to thank for getting me involved with such an exciting new hobby, something that is not only fun to do but an investment as well. I can honestly and conservatively say that my collection has grown exponentially. I would never have thought that this type of hobby would be something that I would enjoy so much and still have such a strong interest in to this day, but I do. Anyway that is how I got started and am loving every minute of it. Oh yah, I hope to start getting really involved with this site, so far it is almost a hobby in itself and a thousand years of knowleadge at my finger tips. Everyone here has been nothing but honest and helpful so to all, I thank you and keep on collecting and sharing.......

12024.jpg

See more journals by Panda Man

All I can say is "Dutch" sounds like a great man with some good ideas for adventures. Seems you two stuck with the venture and did well.

Glad to have you aboard!!

Later---Rick

What a fantastic way to get started. It appears to me from reading many journals that no matter the way in which one picks up this hobby that most everyone says it is one of the best things in their lives.

Welcome to CS and keep us posted on your progress!

Welcome to Collectors Society, I think you will find your experience here both fun and educational. I've been here a while and still find both of those experiences true. Oh by the way, you have a nice Panda collection. My wife who is not exactly into coins loves Pandas! All the best to you!

Gary

Welcome Panda Man. This is a fun and educational place to share this hobby. Thanks for sharing your story. My dad was the one instrumental in getting me started when I was just a wee lad. It's stuck with me all these years and I can honestly say since finding the Collectors Society a few years back I've never had so much fun with the hobby. :whee:

Welcome Panda Man! You can always tell when somebody has the "fever" just by reading their posts. You certainly seem to have it! I share that with you.

My Grandmother "Jingles" introduced me to collecting. We would go to the bank and buy rolls of pennies in the late 60's early 70's and search them for wheat pennies. We would sit for hours until I was cross eyed sorting through pennies, hands smelling of copper, searching for a gem. It was an extremely happy time in my life.

The hobby has changed some since then. I wish I had kept more of what I had from when I started collecting. I bet that's a story we all hear a lot!

Happy Collecting!