• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1746...A new SUPER STAR in my collection. And it's MINE!! ALL MINE!!!!

23 posts in this topic

Spanish Milled Dollar, "Pillar dollar", valued at 8 reals or "piece of eight"...This coin is a fraction of which and is "1 real" and I'm happy as heck to say I own this piece. These coins were used by our Nation's founders and has much history attached to them. 1/2 and 1 real, 2 & 4 reals were the principal coins of American colonists, and were the for-runners of our own silver dollar and it's fractional divisions. About the size of a nickel the mintage is unknown and with a population of 3 graded by pcgs I think it's safe to say it's at least a condition rarity if not just rare all together. The other two are graded AU-53 & 55. This one has been assigned the grade of EF-45. It amazes me that the surfaces of this coin has not been molested nor has the environment taken it's toll on this coin over the last 266 years. Deep rich toning accompanies this coin and has more luster than I would expect from such an old piece in this grade. Thanks for looking as I just got it in the mail today and feel the need to show it off a bit. Comments are always welcome....Joe

17461REAL020.jpg17461REAL007.jpg

untitled-1.png

1746beauty007.jpg

1746beauty012.jpg

Great coin Joe. I don't have a pillar, but I have a portrait 1793 8Reales with very similar toning to this one. VERY pretty to look at! Congrats!

-Brandon

Very nice! But you know that look can only come from the coin being dipped at one point right? So not 100% unmolested, but still very nice ;)

I disagree ....

Very nice! But you know that look can only come from the coin being dipped at one point right? So not 100% unmolested, but still very nice ;)

Ankur, exactly what "look" are you referring to? Your comment seems a bit too much of a generalization. Please do enlighten us...

Ankur, exactly what "look" are you referring to? Your comment seems a bit too much of a generalization. Please do enlighten us...

:applause:

I can't wait to hear the answer.... :popcorn:

I'm not knocking the coin, it is very pretty. All I am saying is that silver that old would not develop that type of patina without assistance. Silver that old would have a nice grey dove look to it, almost like a circ cam IF it was never dipped.

In MY OPINION, the color is from being stored in an envelope for many years after being lightly dipped. I dont think the coin would be this light otherwise. But again, this is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Here is what I mean:

e2cefdff4a5b949ba1734a015fa66fea.jpg

I somewhat agree with AnkurJ, but do not feel it was dipped.

This toning on this example resembles a coin with secondary toning that formed after cleaning.

However I also doubt it was intentionally cleaned as a lower grade 266 year old coins surfaces could have become impaired while in circulation.