• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Buffalo purchase, like, dislike, discuss please

12 posts in this topic

I recently made an offer on this MS66 buffalo coin that DLRC had on ebay which thay accepted. What are your thoughts, do you like this or dislike it? Overgraded or ok for the grade. I only have the sellers pics which are just so-so.

1930obv.jpg

1930rev.jpg

Is that a scratch from the forehead of the buffalo down to the ground, in a slight arc, or is it on the outside of the slab?

That same perfectly formed arc would be of concern to me too.......

Is that a scratch from the forehead of the buffalo down to the ground, in a slight arc, or is it on the outside of the slab?

This is the one item that concerns me, if that is on the coin and looks like a scratch then I'll be sending it back. Now it could be as struck and transfered from the die in which case I'll have to decide in hand if its distracting enough to bother me, which could again result in a return. I'll update once I have it in hand, thanks to all for your thoughts.

I'd be more concerned with the hit in the hair near the braid.

jom

Yes that is a significant hit but it bothers me less(from the pic anyway) than the rev scratch/mark. I have toyed with the thought of sending it to the slabber for a grade review, but I doubt that I'll go that route as imo thay would most likey just confirm that the grade is good to get out of paying up and I'd be out the fees to try. To be fair the pics are not very good and its possible that in hand these flaws are not significant and the coin may have killer/booming luster. I was alitle surprised that my offer was accepted and may indeed confirm that this is a dog thay hope to be rid of. But the cost of some postage to view the coin in hand is small and if it turns out to not be the coin for me then I've learned something about the seller(I've never bought from this seller before) and I'm only out afew bucks.

I'll just bet this coin has booming luster. David Lawrence is a great outfit and stands behind his sales. But I will say the hit near the braid on the hair is some what distracting but a lot of the time the image will make it look worse than it is in hand. I have a 1930 MS-66 I like a lot, great luster . I find with this date the strike is some what weak on both sides. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Let us know how it looks in hand....Joe

I'll just bet this coin has booming luster. David Lawrence is a great outfit and stands behind his sales. But I will say the hit near the braid on the hair is some what distracting but a lot of the time the image will make it look worse than it is in hand. I have a 1930 MS-66 I like a lot, great luster . I find with this date the strike is some what weak on both sides. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Let us know how it looks in hand....Joe

UPDATE!!!

Well the coin arrived today and I must say the luster is booming with just a slight golden tint to both sides. The hit above the braid on the obv may not be a hit at all. the depression is square like something was inbetween the coin and die like a tiny tiny piece of channel iron for lack of a better discription. I suppose a coin could have struck this one at a perfect 90 degree angle but it just does'nt look like any coin-to-coin hit I've seen before. And the line that runs from the bisons head to the plain is not a scratch but rather a raised line which runs up and over about 1/2 of the head. I'm guessing perhaps a die crack, or another theory posed ATS is that it could be a concentric die scratch/damage simply transposed to the coin but not 100% sure on that. Now seeing the coin in hand I can understand perhaps why PCGS gave the grade of 66 as these appear to have been created in the minting process and not pmd. Under a 5X loop I can see several very small contact marks on the front shoulder and leg of the bison that were not seen in the pic, all very light and small but there none the less. I have not made up my mind just yet as to keep or return, need to sleep on it and see the coin in some different light before I decide. Perhaps I'll try and take a pic, that allways seems to help me decide.