• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neil Armstrong died today, 8/25/12. Post something having to do with flight.

11 posts in this topic

Neil Armstrong, the first human to walk on the Moon, died today of a complication to a heart bypass surgery he had earlier this week.

On July 20, 1969, Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the Moon in the Sea of Tranquility. A few hours after landing they both walked on the Moon's surface.

RIP Neil. Thank you for the memories. :popcorn:

Unfortunately I believe that we will see a bunch more of the Moon Walkers die off in the next 5ish years. Buzz Aldrin, Ed Mitchell and John Young were born in 1930 like Neil. The other 5 Moon walker survivors were all born in the 1932 - 1935 range. I never met Neil, but I've had the good fortune to meet 6 of the 12 Moon walkers and have had some interesting talks with them. I have to say, I always thought that Neil handled himself like a real gentleman. He could have made a fortune on his notoriety, but after he retired from NASA he did what he loved to do... he taught engineering at the University of Cincinnati (near where he grew up).

While Neil is obviously most famous for being the first Man on the Moon, perhaps his finest hour as an astronaut was on his first flight as an astronaut, on Gemini 8 (Dave Scott, the 7th man on the moon, was the other astronaut on Gemini 8). While docked to an Agena target vehicle, thrusters that had short circuited on, on the Gemini spacecraft, started rotating the combined spacecraft. At first the problem was thought to be in the Agena, and the Gemini spacecraft undocked from the Agena. When this occurred the Gemini spacecraft started rotating even faster, to the point where the 2 astronauts were starting to get tunnel vision... basically the stage right before passing out (and there would have been no waking up). In that state of physical and mental stress Armstrong figured out what was wrong, turned off the thruster system, activated the re-entry thrusters, and stabilized the craft. It was the closest that America had come to a lethal disaster in space at that point in history. Once the re-entry thrusters were used, by mission rules the mission had to be aborted, and Armstrong and Scott have the record for landing the furthest from the originally planned landing site. They were supposed to land in the Atlantic somewhat near the Bahamas... they ended up landing relatively near the island of Okinawa off of Japan. Here is an unflown bill signed by Armstrong and Scott.

GT8ss.jpg

In truth Armstrong was but the tip of the spear for the whole Apollo Moon landing project, and he made it a point to mention that whenever he talked about the Moon landing. There were ~ 495,000 people working on the Apollo program... first and foremost the wives of the astronauts, and also those manufacturing the equipment, creating the software, figuring out mission rules etc. etc. Most of them will never get any sort of credit. Here's a pic of the launch of the Apollo 11 Saturn V signed by 4 people of Mission Control that were crucial to the success of Apollo 11. The 4 signatures are of the four Flight Directors. They are (from top left in a clockwise order); Gene Kranz, Glynn Lunney, Gerry Griffin, and Chris Kraft. In the picture, the rocket has just cracked the sound barrier, hence the shock wave.

ApolloFlightConA11.jpg

How sad to lose one of our finest astronauts. Neil Armstrong will never be forgotten, though. History has been written.

I wish I had pix of something more worthy to post.

Thank you, Sy, for your terrific summary. I am always wowed by your enthusiasm and knowledge.

Lance.

7cf17e30.jpg934d8fc6.jpg

July 20th,1969 was my last day at home before shipping to Vietnam. What a glorious way to spend it imagining I could see him walking around instead of worrying about what I was about to face. Many thanks for the memories Sy and Neil.

rons, thanks for your service, not related to Neil, but on the day I had to return from pass to ship to Iraq in 03, the Shuttle exploded over Texas. I was only 5 or 6 when we went to the moon but it is one of the memories I have of my childhood.