• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Little story...

12 posts in this topic

About a year ago my boy gave this coin to a friend of his in his club. Last week that friend sold the coin to another boy in the club, for $1.50. Last night at the club's annual meeting the dad of the boy who bought the coin brought it to the club for the express purpose of making an example of it as a "doctored coin." This dad is a coin dealer and member of the PNG. This is the standard he cited and relied on to, um, "reason" his way to that conclusion:

Addition of any substance to a coin so that it appears to be in a better state of preservation or more valuable than it otherwise would be. The use of solvents and/or commercially available dilute acids, such as Jeweluster, by qualified professionals is not considered coin doctoring."

Intentional exposure of a coin to any chemicals, substances, or processes which impart toning, such that the coin appears to be in a better state of preservation or more valuable than it otherwise would be. Naturally occurring toning imparted during long-term storage using established/traditional methods, such as coin albums, rolls, flips, or envelopes, does not constitute coin doctoring.”

I disagree. I think he's nuts. I think this PNG standard is just as nuts. So, naturally, I had to have a little talk with the dad. Paraphrasing him, "It's doctored because it looks like it could have been." He also proceeded to inform me that "the word on the street" is they're "stepping up efforts to prosecute these coin doctors, who are ruining our coins." Wow. And, to think of it. His boy has been selling his "naturally toned" cents to the boys in the club at premiums, for a very long time...

Fear. It sells. What else can I say?

129322.jpg.8f4e455d28613ec98dee3ec177aa4b5f.jpg

129323.jpg.6b296be6d6d79d7b4145f0f7cda5017f.jpg

If he is a member of the PNG, isn't "they" him? I'm sorry but I give just about every coin with a 1958-D date/mm a pass on toning. Those mint sets created all kinds of stuff. Exactly what did he say to the group?

Not to be too harsh on the dealer, but it sounds like he is protecting his territory. Sounds like he's one of those that intentionally puts coins in albums that he knows will turn colors in short order and therefore he can justify the color of his coins as AT.... album toned. It's well known that the older Whitmans and Wayte Raymonds as well as the mint set holders from the mid 50's, specifically 57, turn coins incredible colors. There aren't many who would call these AT.... artificially toned in this case, but say you put 59 coins into a 57 mint set holder full well knowing that the 57 holder will turn these coins, now is this AT?

Prosecuting? Really? If I own a coin I will do with it what I want...last time I checked PNG has no authority in my house.

That being said I do hate all the coin doctors and toning scientists, but to each his own, it's still a free country.

I think that when this dealer is done going after the purveyors of doctored coins in the six figure range, and then those selling doctored coins in the five figure range, and then kicking some butt for all of those sellers of doctored coins in the four figure range, and then moving to the $100 and up category, ...

Once he has cleaned up all of the coin doctoring for coins valued greater than $10, I think it would be fair for him to make it an issue with you. Until then...

I always love it when people refer to "they". It's usually a bluff or lie. No backing but its used as a way of instilling fear. Tell him to send "they" your way. I always ask for names, specifics whenever I hear that "they" said, if I don't get it, I immediately dismiss what ever is being told and ignore it. Do that a couple times in a group setting and whoever is saying it will fall right in line

I am headed out on a short trip to Hawaii where I am going to work on my natural tone. I think that "they" should prosecute all the folks running around sporting their AT (artifical tans).

I am headed out on a short trip to Hawaii where I am going to work on my natural tone. I think that "they" should prosecute all the folks running around sporting their AT (artifical tans).

If you apply anything to your body first it becomes AT

What his name?

I have to shove off, but I'll leave you all with this. This guy's honest as the day is long. His problem is, he's naive. What's wrong, that doesn't compute? Oh, it computes. You look at that type who's peddling these irrational fears to collectors to keep the premiums of their tarnished coins jacked up at 100X-book and beyond, and you'll find them. If you hadn't, yet, you hadn't looked hard enough. They're out there, believe me when I tell you that.

BTW, they're the "they." They're the ones who are gearing up to prosecute off these cockeyed standards. Why do you think it was so important to get the PNG on board with these standards? That's how I took what he told me on that.

Have a great day, all. And, thanks for your support on this. I mean it, it means a lot. The "boss" is calling, have to blow for now.

PS: She's really not a bad sort; I mean, once you get used to her. ;)