• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bullion grading or slabbing.

8 posts in this topic

I have some silver american eagle bullion, mostly from 2009 all still in the US mint tubes untouched. If I were to submit some of these coins for grading to the NGC what type of grades should I expect on average? Would they get some form of an MS grade?

Also along these lines, I have a couple of proof american eagles from the mint. What type of grade would these get on average if submitted?

Thanks!

mostly in the MS68 MS69 range - a few higher and lower

tubes are all uncirculated so MS range

proofs are in individual capsules and cost more

I am assuming the tubes have not been searched before you bought them.

Proofs in the PR68 PR69 range with a few higher and a few lower

For bullion in tubes, it is generally not worth getting them graded.

For proofs, one must look at the census, determine how rare are the 70's, how much they are worth, and then decide if yours are 70's. For the casual collector/investor, it is also not likely worth pursuing.

There is no point submitting any from the tubes unless you can afford to submit hundreds or more as a bulk submission, then start your own TV coin show and sell them at vastly inflated prices.

It's a waste of time submitting the proof SAE's. They will almost always grade 69 or 70, but it isn't worth it unless you have the TV show.

PS. Don't bother calling an existing show offering to sell all the slabbed coins from your bulk submission to them. They'll just hang up!

Chris

You can buy eagles for 30-31, cost of grading about 20 each, plus postage both ways, can buy eagles for under 50 for 69's a little more for 70's. Save your money. I don't know what you paid for them but you can get about 650-675 on ebay for a roll. maybe a little more for 09's