• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great coin designs/designers where are you?

8 posts in this topic

Eagles-R-it started a thought I just can't put aside.

I tend to agree that the new circulation coins are dull, flat and lifeless. The quality has a lot to be desired, as we are supremely focused on how to make a billion coins a month. Even the collector coins are fraught with stories of horrendous striked, contact marks and just plain junk. What it must have been like to live in an era when you could have searched through your coins and looked at Indian Cents, Buffalo Nickels, Mercury Dimes, Standing Liberty Quarters and Walkers! Not to mention going to the bank and getting dollar coins that would have been Peace or Morgans!!

We seem to have fallen asleep and feel comfortable using the same old tired designs for 200 years...

Enough of the rant.

The real reason for this post was Gasparro's vision for the small dollar coin in 1977. Now that is a coin I would still be collecting today! If your not familiar with this concept check out the attached link.

http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page04.html

Waiting on the next great coin design...

Todd

Today's pic - I do like the reverse of the Roosevelt dime, but I also believe it's time for a change...

11962.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Todd, You may very well get your dime reverse change very soon in the near future. Think about it --- 67 years with the same design only changing the composition and thickness of the actual design strike over the years. It is the only coin that has survived that long and all the others have changed in the last 50 years with the first being the new Kennedy in 1964 which should get a change also in the near future.

My opinion only-----Rick

I'm not crazy about the dime, I have 3, a 46 MS67FT, NGC, a 55 MS67 NGC, and a 1963 MS64FSB ANACS, got them and they don't do anything for me. That dollar is cool though

Todd, You may very well get your dime reverse change very soon in the near future. Think about it --- 67 years with the same design only changing the composition and thickness of the actual design strike over the years. It is the only coin that has survived that long and all the others have changed in the last 50 years with the first being the new Kennedy in 1964 which should get a change also in the near future.

My opinion only-----Rick

Agreed. This time I hope they decide to change the entire coin. Do something new and retire the old designs. The Washington quarter is only a shell of what it used to be, when you look at a silver version in MS and compare it to today's version there's no comparison...in my opinion.

Todd

I agree it is time for a change on some of the coins. Drop the penny. Come up with creative designs on some of the others. The dollar coin shown does not do much for me though. The eagle is just not majestic, it looks more like a pigeon with a larger beak. When you see a bald eagle up close, that head is so majestic and fierce.

I want to see Lady Liberty on all our coinage again. I have no fixation with our dull modern money compared to our beautiful older series. I know that I've been a long time Lincoln cent collector, but what broadened my horizons was my love of earlier series (and I still just love the way a nice red cent looks...a real copper one that is, not this copper plated zinc).

I want to see Lady Liberty on all our coinage again. I have no fixation with our dull modern money compared to our beautiful older series. I know that I've been a long time Lincoln cent collector, but what broadened my horizons was my love of earlier series (and I still just love the way a nice red cent looks...a real copper one that is, not this copper plated zinc).

I love the wheat cent design - it's classic, clean and simple - somehow I see it as completely fitting for the one cent denomination.

(thumbs u Here, here on putting lady liberty back on our coinage!