• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1939-S Jefferson Nickel Reverse of 40 NGC MS66 by lehigh96

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Obtained a 1939-S Jefferson Nickel Reverse of 40 NGC MS66 from Heritage Rare Coins for $517.50 and 98 registry points.

My max bid on this coin was the same as the final price: $517.50

1939-S Rev of 40 5C MS66: NGC Census: (3/0). PCGS Population (14/1) (6/12).

Auction: 2012 May 30- June 3 US Coins Signature Auction- Long Beach #1171 Lot #7949

Seller: Heritage Rare Coins

Auction Ended On: Jun 2, 2012

Description:

Boldly impressed and very clean for the assigned grade. Slight weakness under the third pillar precludes a full step designation but is not indicative of a weak strike. The hair detail is complete, Monticello is almost complete, and there are no remnant planchet flaws. Gorgeous mellow orange toning is found on the peripheries of both sides and the coruscating luster gives this coin off the charts eye appeal.

Comments:

For those that believe in TPG gradeflation, this coin is anecdotal evidence to the contrary. The surfaces of this coin are better than most of the MS67s in my collection and the strike, luster, and eye appeal all superlative as well. If ever there we an example of a Premium Quality coin for the assigned grade, this is it. Despite the fact that this coin just misses the full step designation, it has a better strike than most of the existing full step examples for the date/mm and there is no doubt that it is among one of the finest with regards to surfaces, luster, and eye appeal. This coin replaces an MS65 5FS example that had a far inferior strike, yet full steps. In the process, my upgrade from MS65 5FS to MS66 yields a drop of 45 registry points.

11953.jpg

See more journals by lehigh96

Lehigh, A very nice 5c piece there. I did send the 1949-D I showed earlier in for grading. Don't think it will grab the full steps either but the surfaces, strike, and color kept calling me. It was accepted at NGC today with early bird grading so a week or so and whala.

Later---Rick

Obtained a 1939-S Jefferson Nickel Reverse of 40 NGC MS66 from Heritage Rare Coins for $517.50 and 98 registry points

I would have given you handsful of nickels for that kind of money, pretty sweet jefferson though

Larger Photos:

JN1939-SRevof40NGCMS66.jpg

JN1939-SRevof40NGCMSXXSteps.jpg

Wish they had a drooling smiley! Gorgeous coin. In most cases I'm not a toning fan, but the Jefferson's wear it well. I have a few that are just knock out gorgeous and have taken some out of mint sets from as late as the 90's that had similar deep hues. Great score!!

Todd