• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My USPS rant

40 posts in this topic

They seem to have lost $3,000 worth of coins sent to me by registered mail. First, they were too lazy to knock on my door and left a slip in my mailbox the day I was at home all day expecting the delivery. Second, when I went to pick them up a few days later, the employee who could barely speak english says she can't find them. Check back in a week or so.

Just great. I wouldn't be surprised if people end up getting them in change at the post office.

By law, I believe the USPS has to keep registered mail locked in their safe. You may wish to back to them and make sure they look in their safe.

That would be nice if they understood English!

Bummer!

Hope the package shows up soon.

I got nervous once about a "over due" delivery, but on the 10th day it finally arrived.

Oh, I had an expensive coin left in my mailbox that was designated "signature confirm" for delivery. I was not happy.

OP

By law, I believe the USPS has to keep registered mail locked in their safe. You may wish to back to them and make sure they look in their safe.

Until it is delivered it is required to be kept in a safe.

They seem to have lost $3,000 worth of coins sent to me by registered mail. First, they were too lazy to knock on my door and left a slip in my mailbox the day I was at home all day expecting the delivery. Second, when I went to pick them up a few days later, the employee who could barely speak english says she can't find them. Check back in a week or so.

Just great. I wouldn't be surprised if people end up getting them in change at the post office.

I'd be laughing if that delivery mode wasn't the norm. Let me tell you another thing that should honk you off. That slip you found in the mailbox on that day you were home awaiting the delivery has the box checked that says you weren't home. I get into arguments with them all the time about that!

Aside from waiting for some coins from a forum member last year, in which I was at home the whole time, and went out to find the slip around lunch, and which, when I called and had a few words and then went to pick it up was summarily made to wait 30+ minutes while they tried to find it only to find out the Chris Farley temp lookalike had given it out to someone else by accident as "the addresses are similar", I haven't had issues.

The only issue I could see would be you trying to get your point across in a nice, unhurried manner. I would have simply asked for the supervisor and asked who has the registered mail safe keys. That's where your package is.

It is signed for at each step and is one of the only ways they can really lose their jobs. Your postman signs it out the 1 time to "attempt the delivery" (which they don't always seem to do), and then they don't want to do anything with it and take risks and put it where it is supposed to go....in the safe.

At my annex, only 2 people seem to have the key. One that has it anyway (she is in charge) and there is a key they have to sign for for whoever is handling the mail inside the annex that day.

Just nicely asking for the supervisor and/or whoever controls the registered mail would likely have resolved things quickly.

I bet that the coins aren't lost. And that this rant is at least partially premature, resulting from impatience.

+1

Jimbucks you fly off the handle too easy – Registered mail is one of the safest ways to ship valuable goods. If a note was left at your door I am sure the coins are in the safe at the Post Office. You need to ask for a supervisor. USPS can mess up- I once shipped a valuable coin via registered mail – the Post Office had it in their safe for 5 days.

If I did not call my local post office the coins could have remained in that safe for who knows how long.

I bet that the coins aren't lost. And that this rant is at least partially premature, resulting from impatience.

Spoil sport!!!

You won't even let members go postal on a cyberspace coin blog....

for the record, I interpreted the comments as mature impatience. Want to make somethin of it? Huh?? Well???

Partially Respectfully,

John Curlis

My Post Office people told me that if a package isn't picked up withing 10 days of the attempted delivery the package is returned.

Better get moving.

My Post Office people told me that if a package isn't picked up withing 10 days of the attempted delivery the package is returned.

Better get moving.

Still a few more days of premature ranting to go then ☺

Better get moving.

Still a few more days of premature ranting to go then ☺

Thats funny....................I didnt even think you had a sense of humor!!!

More like...check back when the carrier comes back at the end of the day. Talk to your postmaster If you don't have it in hand by tomorrow.

Until it is delivered it is required to be kept in a safe.

Nope. It's just required to be a "secure area" and not handled with the general mail. Depending on the size of your Post Office, this could be anything from an unlocked cabinet in an office to an area that is fenced off (basically a cage and that's what they call it), all the way to a large safe. Some of these places will have cameras.

First, they were too lazy to knock on my door and left a slip in my mailbox the day I was at home all day expecting the delivery.

Not long ago my mail carrier started doing this. Instead of taking the time to knock on the door and see if I am home they just put a notice in the mailbox even when I am home. I assume this is to save them time on their route. Don't let them get away with this.

The first couple times I thought it was me. Huh? I've been home. Why didn't I hear a knock on the door or thr door bell.

The last time this happened I was on the phone and I heard the mail go in the mailbox. I am 10 feet from my front door and mailbox. No knock on the door. No doorbell ring. A little later I collect my mail and there is a "Sorry you were not home, tried to deliver a package" notice. Grrrrr. Now I have to go to the post office to pick it up.

I wrote a letter describing this with a copy of the mailcarrier's notice so they immediately would know who the mailcarrier was. I took it to my post office and asked for, and personally gave it to, the postmaster. He assured me it wouldn't happen again. And it hasn't.

Do the same or your mailcarrier will probably do it again.

It's a bad situation to have to rat on your deliverer and also rely on him for all future deliveries.

In OP's case I'll bet the coin is delivered. Registered it slow but reliable.

Lance.

It's a bad situation to have to rat on your deliverer and also rely on him for all future deliveries.

I considered there might be reprisals by my mailcarrier but there has never been any.

And besides, I'm only asking them to do their job. And not lie that I am not home without even trying. If they want to take that out on me so be it.

I considered there might be reprisals by my mailcarrier but there has never been any.

And besides, I'm only asking them to do their job. If they want to take that out on me so be it.

"so be it?"

Reprisals might be hard to detect. Not saying you did wrong. Just that it can be a dicey situation. I'm sure you'll handle it wisely.

Lance.

"so be it"

"Reprisals might be hard to detect."

I would hope that it would never get this far. And after a year since my complaint it hasn't. But if I started to not receive mail and packages I think it would be obvious and easy to show that the common denominator is the mailcarrier.

And if the mailcarrier was routinely not bothering to check if other people on their route were home when saying weren't, then I bet there would be other complaints besides mine.

Again, I was only asking that they do their job. And the post master completely agreed and apologized.

I think my post could be blown out of proportion internet style.

I justifiably complained.

The postmaster agreed.

It hasn't happened again. I get my packages when I am home.

No nefarious sabotage of my mail.

End of story.

Whenever we get ranted upon here at the NGC forums, we should pause and take stock of the situation to see if there might possibly be other extenuating explanations. Maybe another side of the story.

For example, when no postperson knocked on the door, the explanation might be the three snarling pit bulls in the front yard. Or the health department notice on the door about the house being quarantined. Or she was shy about confronting the occupant because last time he was wearing only a wash-cloth sized towel. Or the many shooting targets filled with holes placed around the property, with lots of high-caliber shellcases scattered everywhere on the ground.

Sometimes non-delivery in favor of a notice left is due to the mailcarrier not wanting to be bothered bringing the package along with them, so they carry a notice instead. Even if you were waiting by the mailbox, properly dressed in a Speedo bathing suit, not carrying any heat, and the dogs were tied up for a change, you'd be out of luck.

Sometimes non-delivery in favor of a notice left is due to the mailcarrier not wanting to be bothered bringing the package along with them, so they carry a notice instead. Even if you were waiting by the mailbox, properly dressed in a Speedo bathing suit, not carrying any heat, and the dogs were tied up for a change, you'd be out of luck.

Then fire their *** and get someone that will do the job.

Plenty of people out of work that will do the job as expected.

First, they were too lazy to knock on my door and left a slip in my mailbox the day I was at home all day expecting the delivery.

Not long ago my mail carrier started doing this. Instead of taking the time to knock on the door and see if I am home they just put a notice in the mailbox even when I am home. I assume this is to save them time on their route. Don't let them get away with this.

The first couple times I thought it was me. Huh? I've been home. Why didn't I hear a knock on the door or thr door bell.

The last time this happened I was on the phone and I heard the mail go in the mailbox. I am 10 feet from my front door and mailbox. No knock on the door. No doorbell ring. A little later I collect my mail and there is a "Sorry you were not home, tried to deliver a package" notice. Grrrrr. Now I have to go to the post office to pick it up.

I wrote a letter describing this with a copy of the mailcarrier's notice so they immediately would know who the mailcarrier was. I took it to my post office and asked for, and personally gave it to, the postmaster. He assured me it wouldn't happen again. And it hasn't.

Do the same or your mailcarrier will probably do it again.

My dad is a retired post master...I recommend this process as well. Understand that the post master doesn't get to hire his employees either so he may be fully aware of "problems" and would appreciate the information required to get rid of them. My own experience has been very good with the post office; that being said, a lot of it has to do with where you live.

+1

Jimbucks you fly off the handle too easy – Registered mail is one of the safest ways to ship valuable goods. If a note was left at your door I am sure the coins are in the safe at the Post Office. You need to ask for a supervisor. USPS can mess up- I once shipped a valuable coin via registered mail – the Post Office had it in their safe for 5 days.

If I did not call my local post office the coins could have remained in that safe for who knows how long.

Well, I don't think he is being premature and impatient but I think it is too soon to make negative conclusions. some employees at the USPS can make anyone wanting throw a punch or two in frustration. BUT it was sent registered mail, sooner or later the package will turn up and if it doesn't, I would call the US Postmaster Generals office and tell them your issue and that you think someone stole your package.

Give it some time, overall, the USPS is very good with following through with getting to the bottom of lost mail or any issue for that matter. I have had the same issue with the "pink slip of lazyness" from a delivery person who was not the regular for the route at my apt. complex. Worse of all it was on a Saturday, and she (the delivery person) wrote Sunday as the day I can pick up my package. :screwy:

Try contacting the postmaster at your local Post Office. He or she SHOULD speak english fluently. (Learned English at an early age fluent, Not rosetta-stone fluent.)

-Dave

I had one of NGC's registered deliveries not delivered cause the fat lady driving the truck was too lazy to get off her fat arse and walk up to my door when my wife and I were both home. She just put the slip in the mailbox and I went out a few minutes later, found the slip in with the mail and called the distribution center and chewed on the employee that answered the phone. Unfortunately for me the supervisor was out at the moment but they made the girl get in her private car and drive back over and deliver it. She used the excuse that she didn't know it was there at the distribution center cause sometimes it's at the other office, which is a bunch or . She just didn't want to get out on a very hot day and walk up to my door.

Everyone needs a MAILMAN that collects coins like me. I have two collectors on my route, they tell me when they are expecting something and we make arrangements for the arrival. Depending on the value and size of package, if not at home it varies from leave it in the mailbox, deliver it to the neighbor (it's a small town), to just leave a notice. I can't understand why some carriers can't just take the time to do the job right the first time. I have 24 yrs. in at the end of the month, would do it another 24 except that would make me 77. Hope it works out for you! MAILMAN