• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof buffalo caviar!

24 posts in this topic

For quite some time I have been wishing to get into the proof buffalo series. There are 5 matte proofs, 1913 T1, 1913 T2, and 1914-16 (some say there are a few [<5] 1917 matte proofs), 1 satin proof of 1936, and two brilliant proofs of 1936-37. Well, I have looked at a lot of these coins over about 2 years and had finally come to the opinion that I'd go for them, PF66 or less and with nice toning. Fin ding this combination is tough, and jumping on the right one at the right time (affordably) is even tougher. But the other day, I came across a beauty. Waddaya think? smile.gif

530866-1913%20T2%20Buff%205c%20PF66%20NGC%20obv.jpg

530867-1913%20T2%20Buff%205c%20PF66%20NGC%20rev.jpg

Hoot

893whatthe.gif Oh Hoot, you outdid yourself with this one! That coin is stunning! Fantastic strike, wonderful color, the luster appears to be superb. I really don’t know what else to say except, WHEN ARE YOU SENDING IT TO ME!!!! grin.gif

Congrats on another great addition to your collection Hoot!

P.S. I’m not kidding about sending it to me. If you ever want to sell it, you know where to find me! thumbsup2.gif

John

27_laughing.gif

I took the pics with my trusty scanner, that does well with some things and is cr-ppy with others. This one came out dead-on. I wondered to myself if that was because of the matte surface. The coin is not reflective like a business strike but somehow beams with an underlying luster that is fantastic. The toning is wilder than what I've seen on most buffs, and the strike is unreal. Delectable. angel.gif

I'm glad to know that this coin has a potential new home with John. It would go well with the rest of your excellent collection.

I snagged this off a sleepy Teletrade auction. I could tell that the photo had done it no justice what-so-ever, and it turned out to be right this time. I feel quite lucky. cloud9.gif

Hoot

Hoot begged me to say something nice about his new coin. Of course. it wasn't necessary since the coin obviously speaks for itself!

Nice, and congrats!

EVP

VN Hoot! Nice proof buffalo! Did you notice that this coin deappreciated $100 in the last 7 months from an earlier auction?

Leo

Yeah, I think that the previous auction was a reserve bid, Teletrade style.

Hoot

Wonderful coin!

These coins are really nice in proof. Too bad they are so hard to find in nice condition without black flecks. frown.gif

a superb coin these proof buffs matte 1913 to 16

the satin proof 36

and the brilliant 36 and 37

with the 36 brilliant really not a great brilliancy

and like you say hoot your 1913 has this great underlying lustre that booms when tilted

and the colors on your buff are superb too!!! a superb combo wild!!

these matte proof buffs and the satin proof 36 are one of the most undervalued coins to me in superb gem WHEN THEY HAVE GREAT COLOR

usually you see white coins or with some light gold and maybe some gold and purple as some to maybe many have

really scarce like this and undervalued in my minds eye again with great color

now i know there was a run up and promotion in the 36 and 37 buff proofs and they have come down within the last month or so to reasonable levels

but for me any 36 satin buff is the key as it is a one year proof type coin the only satin proof buff and any with great colors

then you got a really good GOOD coin

and in fact any proof buff matte brilliant or satin are monster coins in proof with great colors!!!

the key to these coins are the color/eye appeal

michael

Beautiful pick and pic Mark! And you are right on about the picture Teletrade used as not doing it justice (this was one of quite a few Buffs/Jeffs I've been monitoring for prices realized). thumbsup2.gif

And now that you're dipping your wallet into PRs, you're going to have to sell me some of your FS Jeffs dirt cheap and fast, right? cloud9.gifdevil.gif

I'm hoping to have a story of my own to tell shortly! Maybe two of them! Ah, but I have to wait on the details myself, so when I know, you'll all know.

David

I looked at every proof Buff I saw at the ANA and none of them were in that league.

Can you find me a dupe? smile.gif

Thanks CarolinaCollector and Kranky! I'm looking for similar coins through the series, but it's a very tough go! I have a '16 at Heritage that I'll finally get my paws on in December - it's also a beaut! smile.gif

Hoot

This is a pretty old thread...and I'm still waiting for Hoot to send me the coin. For some reason every time I ask that of someone...it never happens. Hmmm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom