• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old coin new pics 1969 FAO mil pesos Uruguay

8 posts in this topic

Beautiful! Excuse my ignorance but is this coin rare or ?

Not per se. Mintage is 500k. However this one has some things going for it.

#1 a lot of these were polished and circulated and used as jewlery. This one is in an MS 65 holder.

#2 this is a more scarce no "tear" variety. Most have a die mark on the camera right eye that looks like a tear. I would estimate that for every 1 of these no tears there are 5-10 tears version. I think they took the proof dies for a limited number of strikes and redid the surfaces and signature though I have no proof of that.

#3 The color on this one is unseen on this issue. Ive seen 0 other coins with color, even a little. This is true of most world coins but I look for color on these all the time and I would guess ive seen in auctions about 1000 of these over the past 10 years. Not a huge % of the mintage but I also have word out to a few dealers overseas who get a lot of these in that i will pay a premium for color and in 5 years not one has contacted me with a toner. I do speak to them on a somewhat frequent basis so its not that they just forgot. They confrm that there just isnt an interest in toners like there are here so most have been dipped.