• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS..FAKE silver dollars,$50.00 takes them all...SOLD

11 posts in this topic

What makes you think the 1798 Trade Dollar is fake???

:baiting:

I did a specific gravity test..density test about 8g per cc.Silver is 10.5 gr per cc...Could be debased with another metal,making it lighter.

There was a guy over at the PCGS boards that was looking for fake Trade Dollars. Might want to give him a shout.

He wanted ones that could pass as real ones.

This is one of two identical looking Trade Dollars I picked up in Laos earlier this year. They sound like silver when you drop one on the ground, they look real good but when you put them with a real TD they are a little smaller in circumference and weigh a little less than the real thing. At the time I thought they were real but alas, they are not. There were several French coins that also contained some silver to make them look and sound real but I imagine those were fakes too. If anyone's interested in them, let me know.

129003.jpg.f2538c569fa9b3b5a7e118575b942d1b.jpg

Isn't it illegal to even have counterfeit coins let alone sell them? I'm just curious. I've never really put much thought into what I could do with an old (pre-1900's) counterfeit coin besides turn them over to the Gov't, I'm not trying to insult you. Can you sell them because the coin is so old and has no current monetary use/value?

-Dave

Isn't it illegal to even have counterfeit coins let alone sell them? I'm just curious. I've never really put much thought into what I could do with an old (pre-1900's) counterfeit coin besides turn them over to the Gov't, I'm not trying to insult you. Can you sell them because the coin is so old and has no current monetary use/value?

-Dave

Some people us them for education purposes.And yes there legal to sell

as long as I don't pass them off as real.