• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 Reverse Proof - Error - New Pic

42 posts in this topic

I have now handled 6 of these, and every one had strike thrus, grease, and/or light contact scuffs. The quality of 2012 Reverse proofs in nothing like the 2006 and 2011s, unfortunately.

I have now handled 6 of these, and every one had strike thrus, grease, and/or light contact scuffs. The quality of 2012 Reverse proofs in nothing like the 2006 and 2011s, unfortunately.

Handling 6 sets is a rather poor indicator for a run of over 75,000 sets.

I purchased two sets from the mint and sent them both in to NGC. Scores came back this morning. One set of PF70 and one set of PF69.

In my opinion the OP should have sent the offending coins back instead of trying to "develop" an error coin.

All I've seen from the mint lately is over-priced product and quality control issues.

We act like it's nothing serious, because you can still exchange it. I'm really hesitant on anything I purchase from the mint now, because their markup is higher than I can make and quality is so variable.

All I've seen from the mint lately is over-priced product and quality control issues.

We act like it's nothing serious, because you can still exchange it. I'm really hesitant on anything I purchase from the mint now, because their markup is higher than I can make and quality is so variable.

At what point for you did it change from collecting to money making?

Honestly, around the Lincoln bicentennial. I'd purchased other things earlier to make money on, but I don't like playing grading games on new mint products.

I'm not trying to create an error. I opened a box and there it was!

I'm at the Santa Clara show and I'm showing it to Jim who has an error

Stand setup. He says there is clearly something going on with this coin and

He suggest sending it to ANACS because they would. be more likely to

recognize the errors. He said NGC and PCGS are way more reluctant

Recognize errors. Jim said the reeding is a clear sign that this is an error.

Not created...... Just discovered.

If you want to buy this coin it's at Jim's error coins in Santa Clara. Just made a trade for a1/10 ounce gold coin. He's going to sell it here at the coin show (as

An error) or list it on eBay if it doesn't sell.

My Final word on this coin....

I made money on it and the error dealer sold it in one day for a profit as well.

With so many people collecting this series, I think any abnormality will have an interested buyer. Will it ever be recognized by NGC as an error...........Probably Not. ANACS?....Probably. ( the coin has more than 10 issues that are not normal)

Major error or not...this coin sold for a premium....twice.

All of this in the wake of a nice article in June Coin World on the process being used in striking the sets. The article was very complimentary on the streamlined process and quality control used on the sets. They apparently used mineral oil in the process of prepping the planchets and cloths to evenly distribute the oil. The oil was to reduce friction,.improve metal flow, and ease the release of the planchet from the dies after striking. Obviously there was a cleaning and polishing part of the process that didn't happen correctly in this case. My sets looked great, so I can't guess what went wrong in this case. Interesting that they sold at a premium. It just goes to show you that one man's junk is another man's treasure.

... Interesting that they sold at a premium. It just goes to show you that one man's junk is another man's treasure.

No mention as to either selling price, only to say each made a "profit". (shrug)

I agree on the junk part though.

Actually,if you read the post, I did mention what I traded it for. And the person I traded it to said

He was happy with the price he got. I'm happy.... I turned "junk" silver into unc gold.