• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 Reverse Proof - Error - New Pic

42 posts in this topic

I received 3 sets of the American Eagle 2 coin set from San Francisco yesterday. Two of the sets look really nice, the third set has some issues that I hope someone here can explain.

Take a look at this.

2012AE.jpg

022.jpg

Image299.jpg

There's grease causing colors all over the obverse...but look at the crack in Liberty's neck.

If you can zoom in on the area around the neck you will see many jagged lines around the neck, chin, breasts and stars.

Did the grease cause all of these issues?

Thoughts?

If it were just grease, you could remove it easily enough with acetone, but it might have already affected the surface of the coin, so that beneath the grease the coin's finish might ultimately appear different in some way. Also, once you've treated a coin with acetone, you're no longer eligible to return it to the US mint for a replacement or refund. I'm leery of grease spots on ASEs, and return any that are afflicted with them.

But the crack in the neck you describe is a different matter. I believe it has nothing to do with the grease. Can you show us a better photo? Don't rush to return it to the mint, until you've explored the possibility it has serious interest for error enthusiasts, who might wish to pay you a premium for it, or perhaps exchange it with one in perfect condition and still pay you something additional.

I don't know about the discoloration you speak of, but are you sure that is a crack on Liberty's neck? It looks like it could be a gouge or scratch on the coin itself. If it isn't clearly raised above the surface, then it is a scratch.

Chris

Someone ATS posted about similar "cracks" or "scratches" on their ASE sets...

Similarly, some members were saying that the coins might be able to be sold for a premium. IDK about all of that, but personally I think I'd send it back.

Looks like the quality control isn't quite up to par.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

From the third photo, the raised line appears to be a lint impression. These are seen on proofs from time to time, whenever a strand of thread or line from the cleaning cloth remains on the die and is impressed into the coin. If that's what it is then there is no premium value, though it is unusual to see on such a recent coin.

From the third photo, the raised line appears to be a lint impression. These are seen on proofs from time to time, whenever a strand of thread or line from the cleaning cloth remains on the die and is impressed into the coin. If that's what it is then there is no premium value, though it is unusual to see on such a recent coin.

Nice insight. Just a sign of low levels of quality control these days.

I'm going to post a couple more pics tonight. There's another area in the folds of the flag

that has this same type of a line. The sun has one small spot thats shiny...the way it's supposed

to be, and the rest is obscured by what appears to be an oil slick. Much of the obverse appears

to be poorly struck.....through grease/oil? If its not worth a premium it's

Going back to the mint.....it's ugly to me! If you get time take a look at the new pics

Tonight and let me know what you think. I'll angle the coin to try and get the depth/

Height of the lines. Thanks for the input!

If the crack on Liberty's neck is raised, it's possibly a die crack.

If it's recessed, it's a scratch.

Neither is an error.

While not inherently a major error, die cracks are mint made and are indeed error coins. Most don't trade for premiums, but on proofs they can bring surprising money.

I received 3 sets of the American Eagle 2 coin set from San Francisco yesterday. Two of the sets look really nice, the third set has some issues that I hope someone here can explain.

Take a look at this.

2012AE.jpg

022.jpg

Image299.jpg

There's grease causing colors all over the obverse...but look at the crack in Liberty's neck.

If you can zoom in on the area around the neck you will see many jagged lines around the neck, chin, breasts and stars.

Did the grease cause all of these issues?

Thoughts?

These are strike-thru impressions made by dust, lint (as David Lang said), and other foreign substances. It is also typical for modern coins to have greasy films on them.

Is there any person that would pay a premium for this UGLY coin, is there any reason I should hold onto it or should I return it to the mint?

Now that you added the close-up photo, I fully agree with several others who recognize it as a small stray thread of lint, and of no real value to error collectors. If it were me, I'd send it right back for replacement.

I agree that the line appears to be a strike through. However, one that size would add little to no premium as they are quite common.

As for the "greasy" look of the coin, that is often in the strike of the coin itself. Unfortunately we have been seeing a lot of that on the reverse proofs from San Francisco.

-Paul

This flaw is considered a tiny strike-thru Mint Error, and should not affect the grade. That said, it is not for everyone.

I'm glad this lint strike-thru was not returned to the Mint!

http://www.dmrarecoins.com/servlet/the-1732/prooflike-cac-ms65fbl-ngc/Detail

I know it's "rare" in PL, but that coin has no appeal to me at all. I understand that it's primarily polish, but I don't dig it.

The main reason I don't like this coin is the oil/grease making the entire coin dull in comparison to the other sets I received....I have no problem with the strike through/lint.

The line is very small but it appears as though it is raised. When I light it from a low angle the light only hits the line on the side the light is coming from. The other side stays dark. It appears to be a ridge to me.....does that change anything?

Here's a section of Liberty's dress.

Image306.jpg

This flaw is considered a tiny strike-thru Mint Error, and should not affect the grade. That said, it is not for everyone.

I know it's "rare" in PL, but that coin has no appeal to me at all. I understand that it's primarily polish, but I don't dig it.

Have you seen this type of PL coin in person? The finish changes depending on what angle you look at it.

The main reason this was posted was to see the strike thru below the chin. A piece of cloth got caught in the dies after it was polished.

Every set I have examined had bluish grease on the Reverse Proof. The quality was not good this year. In most cases, it was struck into the surface and would leave a rough, pockmarked finish if removed.

The picture of the lint strike-thru still apears to be a depressionto me. A ridge would make it a die crack, but it really does not look like one.

The picture of the lint strike-thru still apears to be a depressionto me. A ridge would make it a die crack, but it really does not look like one.

Both, a strikethrough and a gouge would leave a depression in the coin. The major difference between a strikethrough and a gouge is that the gouge on the coin would push the displaced metal up along the edge of the gouge (crater effect), but a strikethrough would not because the hammer die keeps the metal from pushing upward.

Chris

Have you seen this type of PL coin in person? The finish changes depending on what angle you look at it.

The main reason this was posted was to see the strike thru below the chin. A piece of cloth got caught in the dies after it was polished.

Yes. I still don't like it, not my cup of tea, perhaps it's someone else's.

Here are the latest photos of the coin. I posted them in another thread but got no response. Is the an error coin...based on the new pics?

Image318.jpg

Image306.jpg

Image308-1.jpg

First picture: I don't see anything abnormal

Second: Like like a scrape to me. These S mints are coming pretty beat up.

Third: A minor strike through which is very common.

Unfortunately none of the above photos would lead me to call this coin anything other than normal.

Hope that helped!

-Paul

Thanks Paul.

The first picture is trying to show the reeds are larger on 1/3 of the coin, closest to you.

Also the three that look shiny are cracked off on the high points and filled in on the low points. None of my other coins that I purchased from the mint have broken or different size reeding.......but this is supposed to be normal for this coin?

If the picture doesn't show it clearly that's one thing, but I'm 100% sure the reeding is broken in three places and is of different size on 1/3 of width.

Is this still normal?

It might not be normal, but it's not going to make the coin worth any more or garner an error slab. It's not dramatic enough.

-Paul

I know.....I know......

But it just seems strange to me that the mint uses highly polished this and extra pressure that and advertises these as collector quality issues. Then I get one that looks like it's been used to play hockey on the mint floor.......and the response is....send it back....there's nothing to see here!

Gouges, broken reeds,different size reeds, clumps of metal, lint, scratches, oil, grease, weakly struck under high pressure, etc.............!!!!!!

I know...I know.....SEND IT BACK!