• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoot, don't forget about Numisma-quest!

27 posts in this topic

Remember that today is the last day before the 4th weekend holiday. I predict that the folks at NGC will post this week's question early-ish.

Or, this may be a ruse to get you to stalk that forum for a longer timespan. (Hmmm, maybe I should PM Sarah or Dena to post the question late tonight to torture people!)

Bwahuahahahahaha!

wink.gif

EVP

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I swear it was dumb luck! But I still haven't won as often as you did for a blue streak a ways back! 893whatthe.gif

wink.gif Hoot

As Keith said, I had no life then! Speaking of whom, what happened to him?

He got a different job and can't spend the time posting anymore. He still reads these forums and if you send him a PM he will respond.

Keith is soooooooooo lucky that he managed to mostly break free from online obsession! Does he still actively collect coins and go to the occassional shows? How 'bout the summer ANA?

As for Hoot, I noticed he was logged in when the question was posted with only 3 views. Not that I was stalking him or anything...

EVP

Aw gimme a break, it was six views! smile.gif Besides, I only had a stab in the dark at it. grin.gif I know you were there ahead of me and had the answer to boot! sumo.gifinsane.gif

Hoot

I don't know about Keith. The info I provided was the last info I had on him. I know that he replied to one of TJ's PMs a few weeks back. I assume he still collects, but just doesn't have enough time to post. Too bad since he was a fun person to have around.

Hoot, I don't answer the Numisma-Quest questions anymore.

Jom, Keith Dagen. I forget his handle, but I think it's something like kdagen... Like Gereg said, he's a loss 'cuz he was quite a nice guy to have around!

EVP

But I think I'm the only one to have the honor(?) of winning on both the coin and comic side. CHRIS

cool.gif

Hoot

Hoot, I don't answer the Numisma-Quest questions anymore.

Jom, Keith Dagen. I forget his handle, but I think it's something like kdagen... Like Gereg said, he's a loss 'cuz he was quite a nice guy to have around!

EVP

Oh Moe! He theenks he's sapeeriur! stooges.gif

grin.gif

Looks like Hoot stalked a winner yet again.

However, I think his answer was incorrect.

QUESTION: Only 8,795 proof sets were sold in 1939, but the mintage of proof 1939 half dollars is 8,808 pieces. How is this possible?

HOOT'S ANSWER: Proof coins in 1939 weren't sold as complete sets (as they are now). Collectors could specify the coins that they wanted, and apparently fewer half dollars were sold than partial or complete sets ordered.

Notice he says "fewer half dollars were sold than partial or complete sets ordered". Wouldn't it be MORE half dollars were sold than partial or complete sets ordered? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot, please send me your prize as ill-gotten gains are never proper. devil.gif

Ack! I did say fewer, didn't I! flamed.gif Dyslexia at work all over again. foreheadslap.gif Numbers give me hell - I'll take algebra any day of the week. BUT!!! My answer that hits the nail on the head is "Proof coins in 1939 weren't sold as complete sets (as they are now)." If you wish to consider my jumbling the actual numbers as incorrect, then strip me of my prize! sorry.gif (Drama implied smile.gif)

insane.gif Tooh

I think you're all getting carried away with this for nothing. If hoot doesn't already have Langes Buff Book, I'd be in extreme disbelief! 893whatthe.gif

I'm sure he does already have a copy and would be more then willing to send the new one to me so I can get serious about finding rare gems like the one he got off Teletrade. thumbsup2.gif

Better idea! Just send me the Buff you got off Teletrade! Instant start on my collection of 'em! cloud9.gif

Hey, I asked for the prize first! mad.gif

And to answer Hoot's question, yes the book is signed by David. I won a copy a while back.

Better idea! Just send me the Buff you got off Teletrade! Instant start on my collection of 'em!

Hey! Don't go there. 893naughty-thumb.gif I already have first dibbs on that buff! sumo.gifwink.gif

John

And to answer Hoot's question, yes the book is signed by David. I won a copy a while back.

WooHoo! laugh.gif

534447-No%20nickel.JPG

Hoot

589a8cb3d3e91_534447-Nonickel.JPG.a4eaba479f1033c92f6e61ae3fce3c39.JPG

Oops! Sorry Greg and John! Must have missed your requests!

(On purpose, of course)! grin.gif

I promise I won't let it happen again (on purpose anyway)!

David

WooHoo! laugh.gif

534447-No%20nickel.JPG

Hoot

Oh...what a shame...there's a horrible red slash thru Hoot's new proof Buffalo. I guess he'll have to send it to me now... frown.gif

jom

Oh...what a shame...there's a horrible red slash thru Hoot's new proof Buffalo. I guess he'll have to send it to me now... frown.gif

Proof? But there are no reflective fields or cameo portrait. It can't be a proof. Hoot, send it to me and I will "research" this "proof" for you and get back with a definitive answer on its proof status as soon as I tire of seeing the coin in my collection. thumbsup2.gif

Proof? But there are no reflective fields or cameo portrait. It can't be a proof. Hoot, send it to me and I will "research" this "proof" for you and get back with a definitive answer on its proof status as soon as I tire of seeing the coin in my collection. thumbsup2.gif

Best offer I've had all day! smile.gif

What kind of a day has it been? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, and it's a horrid looking coin now that I used that fingernail polish to put that red stgripe through it. I'll have to have NCS conserve it! smile.gif

Hoot

Where is Hoot? The question is up!!! Doesn't he need another copy of the book? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Drunk with happiness over having just received Dave Lange's buff book! smile.gif

(And also on travel! wink.gif)

Hoot