• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking out coins

34 posts in this topic

Isn't it possible if you crack out a high end coin like an MS/PR70 coin, the little bit of friction by putting the coin in the plastic flip or album could cause a downgrade?

You won't find many investment quality coins graded MS/PR70...mostly the recent mass produced for collector stuff that is shipped to the TPG's by the truck load to be sold to unsuspecting QVC shoppers at 1 a.m.

Most on here would say a raw ASE and an MS70 ASE are worth the same.

+1

Unless I can see the difference, I am not gonna pay a premium for an 'ultra-grade'.

I don't know what you boys have against slabs. I put BBQ sauce on mine, they're really good! :grin:

I don't necessarily mind slabs, but it's really hard to get them to fit the little round holes in my albums.

Most on here would say a raw ASE and an MS70 ASE are worth the same.

That comment should be taken with a barrel of salt.

It can be true under certain circumstances, in particular for ASEs after 2006, if you are in a situation where you can carefully examine the raw ASEs, are fairly skilled in grading, and when you are planning to use the ASEs for such purposes as filling albums. It can also be true if you wish to obtain ASEs as widgets of silver bullion, period, and can't be bothered to even take a second look at the coins.

Otherwise, an ASE inside a protective plastic slab, and assigned a grade of 70 by NGC is worth a lot more than a raw ASE. Anyone with access to the NGC US Coin Price Guide should know that. The most extreme example is the 1999 MS70 ASE, valued in the NGC price guide $19,380. The MS69 is listed at $52.50. You can generally buy abundant raw examples at coin shops or shows for in the low $30s.

Most of the earlier ASEs, 1986-2006, command enormous premiums for MS70s. Only after 2006 are MS70s usually valued at less than double the MS69s. And raw ones typically sell for less than 69s.

Beware of accepting statements, as quoted at the top of this posting, by a small minority on the NGC forums who disdain and disparage the collecting of modern coins with bullion value. They may ordinarily be delightful persons, with expert knowledge and experience regarding classic coinage, and certain other coin series they enjoy, but they are capable of providing the unwary with woeful wrong advice when it comes to coins they disfavor. Potentially very costly wrong advice.