• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newp 1922-s peace dollar

24 posts in this topic

this is currently in a problem free NGC holder. it looks better than what i expected and am wondering what grade you guys would assign. for the date it has an awesome strike, blast white, with really flashy luster, especially the reverse, very different looking thats for sure. It doesn't cartwheel as much just very bright, sort of reflective.

128876.jpg.dddfda83e67f77d38c8bbb09d143c02c.jpg

128877.jpg.4fef95c8a960bafb0cedb9c2f444cb4e.jpg

128878.jpg.4d8d40331598b1b2581ac33c63541776.jpg

128879.jpg.46bf491ae5dbc77307731d34dadaad9f.jpg

128880.jpg.f2997a3e208bf67bb0a4e69521c00cb0.jpg

Awesome strike on both sides. Not just for an S but any strike. The feathers on the eagle are absolutely perfectly layered and seperated.

i have seen several peace dollars with similar markings as seen in the obverse top right, is it maybe from the die? it doesnt look like may bag marks i have seen

well it is currently a 64, but it has excellent eye appeal, truly a fantastic coin, i have a lot of certified peace dollars, maybe hundreds, and this is something special, its too bad my pics don't show how awesome it really is. i have plenty of 65s that look worse than this. The cheek and neck are clean, the fields to the left of liberty and below are clean. the reverse is easy 65, maybe better. i am just wondering about the mark on the upper right area, is that considered a prime focal area? to me it doesnt look like a bag mark, it looks like a die issue as i have seen those types of marks before.

i am just wondering about the mark on the upper right area, is that considered a prime focal area? to me it doesnt look like a bag mark, it looks like a die issue as i have seen those types of marks before.

Forget about those concerns and concentrate on whether the mark you're referencing is prominent enough to be considered distracting. I think it is. I also think that coin had been dipped at some point. Now, don't get all shook up. I'm not suggesting it's not marketable. But, look at how pristine it is, and it only gets a MS64? What's that about?

Factor in the hits above the eyelid, too, and I think that suffices to explain that market grade.

PS: Hey, JMHO.

Are you referring to the 'reed' mark in between liberty's hair and the 'Y' in liberty?

I think the coin looks solid for 64, but the pictures aren't good enough to determine upgrade potential. Does look thoroughly dipped though.

Are you referring to the 'reed' mark in between liberty's hair and the 'Y' in liberty?

I think the coin looks solid for 64, but the pictures aren't good enough to determine upgrade potential. Does look thoroughly dipped though.

yes, is that what it is referred to? is it a mark from the dies?