• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SECOND DAY AT ANA posted by Wissahickon Collection

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A Little Buying; A Little Selling; A Big Giveaway!

Today, unlike yesterday, I arrived at the train station with plenty of time to spare... and I remembered to pay for the parking. I moved to the edge of the platform as the train approached. The problem is, the train never stopped; it just sped through the station! So as yesterday, I took the second train.

Upon arrival at the show, I immediately found Mike Printz and introduced myself. We talked for awhile and I gave him 6 coins to put on my want list. Mike was good enough to arrange for an associate to go thru 3 boxes of my foreign coins and identify the keepers for me. Thanks, Roxanna! Two and a half boxes immediately went to the ANA Young Numismatist program. I am sure that they will be put to good use and provide more pleasure than they could possibly provide tucked away in a drawer in my possession.

After a fun conversation with the ANA reps, I sought out the Civil War Token Society Table. They evaluated my 4 tokens, and one that my sister-in-law gave me this past weekend. Neither of us could recall where we had acquired them. I received a brief history of CWT's, and the names of dealers who would be interested in purchasing this material. The first dealer made an offer, and I accepted. I trusted him; he was holding a baby while dealing coins! How could I not trust him?

I stopped to say goodbye to Mark Feld, as I won't be going back to the show, and introduced myself to Kathleen Duncan at Pinnacle, after years of phone conversations. Then I went to 4 or 5 tables to meet dealers that I had either dealt with or heard good things about. 2 were away from there tables scouting coins; 2 were with customers; and one refused to look up or acknowledge my presence as I stood directly in front of her for 2-3 minutes.

As I was heading out of the hall, a case of Peace Dollars caught my attention. I added the missing 1926 Peace Dollar to my collection from PQ Dollars. It is a nice MS-65, gold toned with obverse highlights of rose and blue: strong strike and nice satin luster.

With that, it was back to the train, and home by 5:00PM.

This has been a fun 2 days, but the show size can be a bit overwhelming, and tonight my legs are sore from 2 days of steady walking on concrete floors. I am going to sleep well, tonight!

See more journals by Wissahickon Collection

I can't wait for the Dallas show! Hope some of y'all will be able to make it there... if so, would be great to have a forums meet-up, grab some lunch, chat, etc.