• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade Part II

11 posts in this topic

Todd,

At such a large close up it does look rough but I do believe that NGC does not look at the dimes at such a magnification. It is guys like us that go the extreme in perfection when it comes to these little guys. When I finish grading my dimes this weekend I will do a journal with the nicest one in the group so others can see a truly nice RAW Roosevelt.

I may not get too many--if any FTs but they will be the best looking for MS68 & MS69. Maybe even a couple PLs.

P.S.---Did you guys read the great purchase that TPETERS made on that MS68FT 1950-S?? I just confirmed the purchase of his lower replaced MS67FT. I had to help him pay for that big boy. OH - YEAH!!!!

Later---Rick

Todd,

At such a large close up it does look rough but I do believe that NGC does not look at the dimes at such a magnification. It is guys like us that go the extreme in perfection when it comes to these little guys. When I finish grading my dimes this weekend I will do a journal with the nicest one in the group so others can see a truly nice RAW Roosevelt.

I may not get too many--if any FTs but they will be the best looking for MS68 & MS69. Maybe even a couple PLs.

P.S.---Did you guys read the great purchase that TPETERS made on that MS68FT 1950-S?? I just confirmed the purchase of his lower replaced MS67FT. I had to help him pay for that big boy.

Later---Rick

Rick -

Well that's kind of where I was going. They find the smallest marks on the coins I submit and I've found that MS 68 is very tough to get and MS 69 has been non-existent for me. I can see several of these marks with the naked eye, which makes this coin kind of disappointing to me.

Todd

I see a lot of scuff marks on the cheek are they on the coin or the holder? If they are on the coin I don't see this specimen grading very high. When I adjusted the image on my computer screen so that it would match what the coin would look like under 5X magnification it looked pretty rough certainly not GEM quality. What grade did NGC give this specimen?

I see a lot of scuff marks on the cheek are they on the coin or the holder? If they are on the coin I don't see this specimen grading very high. When I adjusted the image on my computer screen so that it would match what the coin would look like under 5X magnification it looked pretty rough certainly not GEM quality. What grade did NGC give this specimen?

My thoughts exactly... I was highly disappointed when this coin showed up in an NGC MS 68 FT holder. So much so, that I can't bring myself to enter it in the slot in my set. I've been contemplating sending this in for review on the guarantee - something I've never done, but I guess there is a first for everything. Thanks for your feedback.

Todd

My thoughts exactly... I was highly disappointed when this coin showed up in an NGC MS 68 FT holder. So much so, that I can't bring myself to enter it in the slot in my set. I've been contemplating sending this in for review on the guarantee - something I've never done, but I guess there is a first for everything. Thanks for your feedback.

Todd

Send it back if those marks are easily seen in hand. That's not anywhere near acceptable as a 68.