• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

here's an interesting read on CAC coins..............

14 posts in this topic

Old news ;)

It might be old news with respect to their generally being a price premium for CAC coins. However, the article IS dated August 2'd, and it provides a detailed analysis from a presumably unbiased source. Therefore, I don't think it is all "old news". ;)

While the news is old, the article and data are recent. One caveat not respective of CAC: The Fall and Winter seasons are best for maximizing profit when selling your coins. CAC or not!

I read the entire pdf, too, and I have some issues with how the results were obtained. However, I will not list them in this post.

I read the entire pdf, too, and I have some issues with how the results were obtained. However, I will not list them in this post.

I have issues with the study too:

(1) The lack of a random sample;

(2) Small sample sizes for many of the coins makes it possible that the results are the product of chance or extraneous confounding variables (some studies compare 20-30 non CAC coins to 2-3 CAC coins); bidding fever could have resulted and the data could be subject to threats from outliers.

(3) Analysis of common date coins only - not necessarily representative of the larger market;

(4) Averaging similarly more affordable coins notwithstanding that there are some natural pricing variations;

(5) The study fails to account for variations in plastic or brand name of the TPG, which could be a factor (e.g. for registry purposes, etc.).

(6) The study lacks construct validity - the coins without stickers could be "dogs" and their CAC counterparts may have fared just as well or close to it without the CAC sticker; thus, the influence of the sticker may not be what the study is actually measuring;

(7) The study fails to account for eye appeal (such as toning, etc.), that can mean large differences in the price paid; etc.

I would repeat the study using larger samples of coins that were analyzed by a series of professional numismatists, and adjusted statistically to ensure inter-rater reliability for both the CAC and non-CAC coins, and then do a statistical comparison of non-CAC solid or high end for the grade coins compared to their CAC counterparts.

if i like an approve of a coin myself and it is special to my eyes and it have great eye appeal then the cac sticker adds to the appeal

and yes i have seen some cac stickered coins growing more and more as the years go by that i am shocked/totally disagree that the coin got a green sticker

more often than not it is for ugly/below average eye appeal

I think the big tip off with CAC is their preference for white coins.

?

I don't think CAC has any bias against toned coins; they just don't seem to care for darkly toned coins, and for the most part, I don't blame them.

I think the big tip off with CAC is their preference for white coins.

?

I don't think CAC has any bias against toned coins; they just don't seem to care for darkly toned coins, and for the most part, I don't blame them.

CAC is tougher on cents and morgans (it seems to me) than many other type coins. I read the study and it appears that they totally neglected some types that should have been included.

wheat

Yesterday, I plowed through a customer's five boxes of NGC and PCGS coins (over ninety coins altogether). About 80% were stickered, but the seller didn't specifically ask for a premium on them versus the non-stickered coins, and incidentally, ALL were MS-64 and better.

Of the 21 coins I bought, sixteen are stickered, five are not, but the prices paid across the board were consistent. In other words, had there been no stickers, or all stickers, I almost certainly would have bought the exact same coins for the exact same money. On AVERAGE, the odds are that a stickered coin will be "nice", but some stickered coins are awful, and numerous UNstickered coins are terrific -- all in accordance to what I personally like.

So my data sample is tiny, but it meshes with my past experience, which is that CAC stickered coins may or may not get a premium over non-stickered coins, and ultimately, the coin simply has to appeal to me at the price regardless of stickers and other noise. Naturally, for folks who feel the need to rely on a fourth party opinion, there would be a premium for a stickered coin.

As to the article itself, I have to say it is pretty much meaningless to me. It seems to reflect a very narrow segment of the market -- a segment that I likely don't care about.

From reading the article and the CAC website, the only thing that comes to mind is, buy the coin, not the label. Or in this case green sticker.

Based on that, I would be surprised to see any 'real' collector pay a premium just because a CAC green sticker is attached.

my .02 cents worth